Sign in to follow this  
Speedy

Non-Res Deer tags sold out

At least if you pay attention you have the option to come down here! 
If AZ keeps letting everyone come down here and kill deer for their instasham page our deer are gonna look like Colorados elk and antelope just a bunch of runts running around the OTC units, then it will be ruined for everyone.

I hope AZ makes all OTC resident only, at a minimum  they should make nonresident archery tags a draw and use their points when they get a tag. IMO

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Wow, rough crowd!  Not sure when the bill was passed limiting NR tags but it was well after they implemented the quota system.  The AZGFD was caught off guard and had to go to a vendor for the online tag sales (interesting the tab logo is the same as this website).  It crashed when they went on sale 12/1 and some were issued 2 tags which they had to sort out.  The NR tags are capped at 10% of resident sales.  Limiting NR is easy but at 10% or less it won't solve the problem.  There are too many resident hunters and more are moving to AZ everyday.  I might be one next year, so ha!

Consider yourself lucky that you only have 30,000 bowhunters.  WI has 10x that many.  And now that they legalized crossbows it even worse now. 

2 hours ago, HUNTnTAT2 said:

AZ OTC should only be for residents. NR should have to draw at a VERY limited tag allocation. The mandatory harvest reporting should be for across the board, not just for archery hunters. How can we not mandatory harvest report for unit x that has 750 rifle deer tags for the general hunt?? That's a ton of lost data. The quota system is arbitrary. I hunt areas within a unit that Is already closed that I don't see people in. Multiple bucks running that country right now.

I may get strung up on the forum gallows here for this next one but I would love to see a ruling put in place for only harvesting one buck during the archery deer rut hunts. Not the calendar year deal we currently have where you can kill 2 bucks. One in December and one in January when the year rolls over.  

Soooo are you under the impression you can kill 2 bucks in a calender year? 

8 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Soooo are you under the impression you can kill 2 bucks in a calender year

That is definitely not what he wrote…may want to reread the last part of his post one more time….

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Millhouse said:

That is definitely not what he wrote…may want to reread the last part of his post one more time….

I did but calender year is a calender year. One in Dec and one in Jan is still 1 buck per calendar year. Not sure where his point of contention is since December is not really a rut hunt.  If someone wants to kill in December thinking they are rut hunting by all means have at it. I'll take the January hunt all day everyday.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

I did but calender year is a calender year. One in Dec and one in Jan is still 1 buck per calendar year. 

That’s 2 calendar years mate 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

That’s 2 calendar years mate 

That's what I'm saying, one buck from january to December

2 hours ago, Speedy said:

Wow, rough crowd!  Not sure when the bill was passed limiting NR tags but it was well after they implemented the quota system. 

Not to pick on you, but it happened at the same time. The only thing they didn’t know was how many tags to NR’s.

Read the last paragraph in the first press release from July 29, 2022.

https://www.azgfd.com/archery-deer-hunters-azgfd-makes-changes-to-over-the-counter-nonpermit-tag-opportunity/

So I just gotta ask why do several people  seem to “think” December isn’t a rut hunt , I’ve seen deer humping in December a few times now, just as much as January I would say? ?…

39 minutes ago, EarlyBronco said:

So I just gotta ask why do several people  seem to “think” December isn’t a rut hunt , I’ve seen deer humping in December a few times now, just as much as January I would say? ?…

They haven’t been in the right place at the right time lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Speedy said:

Wow, rough crowd!  Not sure when the bill was passed limiting NR tags but it was well after they implemented the quota system.  The AZGFD was caught off guard and had to go to a vendor for the online tag sales (interesting the tab logo is the same as this website).  It crashed when they went on sale 12/1 and some were issued 2 tags which they had to sort out.  The NR tags are capped at 10% of resident sales.  Limiting NR is easy but at 10% or less it won't solve the problem.  There are too many resident hunters and more are moving to AZ everyday.  I might be one next year, so ha!

Consider yourself lucky that you only have 30,000 bowhunters.  WI has 10x that many.  And now that they legalized crossbows it even worse now. 

Are you asking everyone to feel sorry for you? Not our fault you don’t pay attention to the regs. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

Are you asking everyone to feel sorry for you? Not our fault you don’t pay attention to the regs. 

Actually in a way it is ;)  I look to this site and Rokslide for news, but the drawing was never mentioned in a topic! It's still my fault and you can call me an idiot but I'm just expressing frustration at the process, the same one you guys complain about all the time.  It's my way of coping for missing out on a hunt I dream about all year.  Of all the years I've applied and drawn tags out west never was a change made literally weeks before the season started.  And even more frustrating I was on the AZGFD website several times in late Oct and early November to buy a leftover javi tag and either I missed the notice or it wasn't posted yet.  Eastman's reported the drawing on Nov 7 so I think I just missed it.  My mistake was thinking there couldn't be anymore changes this close to the season, and it wasn't mentioned on the 2 websites I rely on for AZ hunting news. Missed it by 🙏 much!

I guess the lesson learned is much as we hate social media we have to follow it as the government now believes that's their only responsibility they have to inform the public now.  I maybe an idiot but I'm not the only one who got burned. Oh well, time to start dreaming about 2024 and hope it doesn't get any worse. Good luck to all who have tags, consider yourself fortunate to be able to hunt Coues deer another year.