Sign in to follow this  
HighschoolHunter

Doin the Lords work

My younger brother and I have been hunting Az for 7 years and specifically predator calling for about 4 now. Very excited but also a little embarrassed it took me this long to get my first coyote. We’ve both missed a few over the years and also just messed up a few opportunities. We always felt like we didn’t really know what we was doing but it finally all came together a couple days ago. We had just finished the 2nd stand of the morning and after seeing nothing for 30 minutes, I suddenly noticed something on the opposite ridge about 200 yards off, literally as we were unloading our guns and packing up the call and ready to call ourselves the worlds worst predators hunters. I quickly got set up on it in the prone position and dropped it at 185 yards right as it was about to trot back over the ridge. We went ballistic when we walked up on it. Hopefully we’ve broken our curse and will start harvesting more predators now. Hunting 21 with the deer and pronghorn populations being decimated by coyotes. Thanks to anyone that bothered to read this. I know a lotta guys are able to shoot hundreds of these things a year but we were very excited feeling like we finally cracked the code. 

C7FC61D0-5EF4-44F7-AE7C-8504CC69C311.jpeg

319BAF9F-A225-4C6D-B6B4-37B24AE9800F.jpeg

• Like 26

Some days hunting them is harder than others but each trip is a learning experience and you can't shoot them if they are not there. Thirty minutes is max time on a stand for me and you have to move at least 1/2 mile before you make another stand.

Congrats on your first one.

Nice work! I use to live in 21 and saw the antelope populations drop a lot in the 8 years I was there. I use to call there almost weekly and it can be tough. Lots of those coyotes are call shy I learned a pair of binos helps a lot! 

Nice job, I'm not great at predator hunting.  The one time I shoulda killed I tried to rack my AR-15 quietly then when showtime started it just went "click"

51 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Nice job, I'm not great at predator hunting.  The one time I shoulda killed I tried to rack my AR-15 quietly then when showtime started it just went "click"

You need to do that once you get settled and take the safety off before you start calling.

Just now, PRDATR said:

You need to do that once you get settled and take the safety off before you start calling.

Yeah I learned an AR needs a hard rack. I won't make the same mistake twice.  That's how my life is, I learn the hard way.... Once.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah I learned an AR needs a hard rack. I won't make the same mistake twice.  That's how my life is, I learn the hard way.... Once.

I’ve done that before with an ar tbh 

Had the first one at 10 yards shoulda been a chip shot, then racked again taking hail Marys at his buddy and missed em. Doubt I will see those 2 again.