goat73

Unit 3A/4B Zeniff / Dry Lake population management hunt

Hello all, hope you had a great Christmas.  

I have a population management tag for the Zeniff/Dry Lake area in units 3A & 4B.  As with most of these opportunities, we don't have much/any time to do any scouting.  With the freezer empty from no elk in the past few years, I'm just hoping to get some meat & thought this would be worth a shot (no pun intended) :).

We were given the attached map & told the green circled areas have the highest concentrations of animals.  We also CANNOT hunt on the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest.  I was thinking to set up camp on the forest boundary & hunt north, but I'm not real sure.

I've never hunted nor scouted in this area & only have a week to prep.  Would anyone be willing to share suggestions/tips/advice?

pop mgt hunt map.jpg

9 minutes ago, dsotm said:

Enjoy your hike

Thanks, I'm worried about that.  I'll reach out to the wildlife managers in the area & imagine they'll have some advice.  I imagine they're the ones who really want the herd gone.

Thanks again & have a Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Not sure if you’re interested in a guide, but Grant’s Guide service just killed a big bull out of there.  Like bigger than most of the early rifle bulls that come out of either of those units.  Grant knows that country better than anyone.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Not sure if you’re interested in a guide, but Grant’s Guide service just killed a big bull out of there.  Like bigger than most of the early rifle bulls that come out of either of those units.  Grant knows that country better than anyone.  

Thanks for that suggestion.  I'm going to try & do this unguided at the moment although my brother will come along for help.  I didn't get the 'any elk' tag, so I'll be looking for a good cow instead.  I appreciate the advice & Happy New Year to you!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goat73 said:

Thanks for that suggestion.  I'm going to try & do this unguided at the moment although my brother will come along for help.  I didn't get the 'any elk' tag, so I'll be looking for a good cow instead.  I appreciate the advice & Happy New Year to you!

If you can get ahold of the unit manager he will give you good information. 

Take a tripod and a pair of binoculars. There's a lot of country out there. You can check with Grant. He might send you a pin or two.

• Like 1

I had this hunt in January and my brother and I successfully killed two cows, shoot me a DM and I'd be happy to pass the location we were finding them.  

17 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Take a tripod and a pair of binoculars. There's a lot of country out there. You can check with Grant. He might send you a pin or two.

Thank you sir!  I'll definitely plan on glassing like that.  Thanks for the input & Happy New Year!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Evan said:

I had this hunt in January and my brother and I successfully killed two cows, shoot me a DM and I'd be happy to pass the location we were finding them.  

Greatly appreciated sir!  PM sent your way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, goat73 said:

Thank you sir!  I'll definitely plan on glassing like that.  Thanks for the input & Happy New Year!

Lots of Junipers but plenty of open country too.