goat73

Unit 3A/4B Zeniff / Dry Lake population management hunt

53 minutes ago, idgaf said:

There's more elk than you think. Find sign and start looking in that area

That seems to be the common thought here.  There's supposed to be snow coming in there right before the hunt, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

The west edges of those circled areas west of 377 and north of the forest boundary are filled with those 40 acre ranchettes. Checkerboard State Trust land and private property. Ran into no trespassing/hunting signs helping a friend on an antelope hunt there a couple years ago. So, just a heads up. 

11 minutes ago, Newbie2012 said:

The west edges of those circled areas west of 377 and north of the forest boundary are filled with those 40 acre ranchettes. Checkerboard State Trust land and private property. Ran into no trespassing/hunting signs helping a friend on an antelope hunt there a couple years ago. So, just a heads up. 

Ah, good to know.  Thanks for the insight!

2 hours ago, Newbie2012 said:

The houses by the power lines are easily visable from a few miles. Stay east of them and hunt the small herds.

• Thanks 1

Good luck to the OP and looking forward to an update.

And I have no idea how I missed this thread as I got a call yesterday from G&F for this hunt for antlerless elk.  It pained me tremendously to decline the tag. 😭 

Eddie

Just an update after my trip up there.  It was short-lived but learned a lot.  We found a fair amount of elk on the last few days of hunting, but they were just moving at night.  Guess I'm not experienced enough to make the most of that. 

However, I'd like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.  I may not have been so 'successful' as I was without that.  We had a great time even though we didn't come home with meat, and I'm good with that.  Thanks again all!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, goat73 said:

Just an update after my trip up there.  It was short-lived but learned a lot.  We found a fair amount of elk on the last few days of hunting, but they were just moving at night.  Guess I'm not experienced enough to make the most of that. 

However, I'd like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.  I may not have been so 'successful' as I was without that.  We had a great time even though we didn't come home with meat, and I'm good with that.  Thanks again all!

Thanks for coming back and sharing how it all went. I hope what you learned allows you to get it done next time!

14 hours ago, goat73 said:

Mind sharing some info? I have the same hunt in 2 weeks!