JSR

Metal Detectors?

Can anyone recommend a decent detector for starting out.

I don't want a top of line one but not a cheap toy either. Something to look for coins, relics, etc.

If you want to coin shoot, make sure you get a detector with a great discriminator to tune out the trash ferrous metals. This feature will also allow you to detect around metal structures like light poles or outdoor gym equipment  and completely cancel those iron bearing metals out.

Unfortunately, foil, lead and aluminum won't be canceled out but eventually you'll learn to discriminate different metals by ear.

I bought a new Minelab for about $1K and mostly find lead and coins. But I picked up a used Whites Eagle II for $200 and it works super.

Lemme know if you want to try one out.

• Like 1

That detector is plug N play, not a huge learning curve.  

Best thing to do is bury some nickles at varying depths and coins on their side to see how well your detectors work. Nickles have low conductivity  so if you can't find it deeper than 4-5" deep and on its side, save up for a better detector.

I have a.Minelab 800 Equinox that's a good machine but it's also taken me a.long time to get familiar with it. They're around $400-500 used but nearly as good as the Minelab Gold Monster at finding small gold flakes about 5" down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edge said:

That detector is plug N play, not a huge learning curve.  

Best thing to do is bury some nickles at varying depths and coins on their side to see how well your detectors work. Nickles have low conductivity  so if you can't find it deeper than 4-5" deep and on its side, save up for a better detector.

I have a.Minelab 800 Equinox that's a good machine but it's also taken me a.long time to get familiar with it. They're around $400-500 used but nearly as good as the Minelab Gold Monster at finding small gold flakes about 5" down. 

I want to go with you one of these days, I have a set up that I need to use

3 minutes ago, Vowell said:

I want to go with you one of these days, I have a set up that I need to use

Artifacts, coins, gold?

I believe mine does it all, so whatever you are up for.

33 minutes ago, Vowell said:

I believe mine does it all, so whatever you are up for.

Now I'm curious what ya got.

One thing the cheaper detectors will do is drive you crazy not being able to balance them.over varying mineralized soils or uneven ground. It's due to slow microprocessors not able to keep up with all the different returns the coil is sending.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Now I'm curious what ya got.

One thing the cheaper detectors will do is drive you crazy not being able to balance them.over varying mineralized soils or uneven ground. It's due to slow microprocessors not able to keep up with all the different returns the coil is sending.

Nothing special just the teknetics t2 with a 5" and 11" coil

10 minutes ago, JSR said:

Thanks. 

I ve had a couple of people say this one is decent to start out with. 

https://www.metaldetector.com/fisher-f70-metal-detector-11-5-dd-coils

Looks like the same as mine just branded differently, I have heard lots of good things about it

Screenshot_20230106_171629_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Keep in mind if you're out detecting with other detectionists, Keep  a distance apart or the machines will interfere with each other. After all,  you're swinging a radio transmitter around. 

• Like 1