Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

Impact Wrench recommendations?

I’ve got all Dewalt stuff but that’s only because I got started with them.  I would go Milwaukee in a heartbeat if I could switch all mine.  I do like the 60v Dewalt option though.  Love their air compressor, have two lawnmowers, blowers, weed eaters, chain saws every drill saw, grinder etc they make.  Honestly have no reason to prefer Milwaukee, just what I hear.   I probably have 25-30 Dewalt tools and 10-15 batteries and never had an issue with any one of them and a lot of them ride around in my ram box year round, from 105 above to -40 here in ND.  

• Like 1

I use them both, Milwaukee at work and dewalt at home. They are both awesome, I don’t prefer one over the other. I’d probably go with dewalt just because I think there are more tools out there that use their battery

I had a really nice Dewalt set, but someone decided they needed it more than I did. I got a good deal on another set, so I've got the basics again. Didn't really need it. Don't do "that type" of stuff too often but love having it when I do.

For those that do tire changesnin the field, do you use impact on splined lugnuts off and on?  Or low tighten and finish with a torque wrench?

15 minutes ago, n2horns said:

For those that do tire changesnin the field, do you use impact on splined lugnuts off and on?  Or low tighten and finish with a torque wrench?

I use my m18 fuel impact driver (not wrench). 1/4 to 1/2 anvil adapter is all I need and it buzzes off lugs that were torqued to 100ftlb even on low settings. Haven’t found a reason to get the dedicated impact wrench since the more versatile driver is so good for occasional stuff. Perfect for tightening bolts on bottom plates too. 

to answer your question , I use the medium setting; if I hold the trigger for a second or two once snugged up it ends up being around 100lbft based on comparing with torque wrench at home . Good enough for the field .

21 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

That’s cool. The impact driver won’t loosen lug nuts on my truck, but the impact wrench does easily

Huh. Is it the FUEL? Mine is the latest model gen 4 I think. If that makes a difference.  it is too powerful on the high setting, breaks off lags real quick if I’m not careful

10 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

No mines the dewalt, score 1 for Milwaukee 

Oh now I understand.  I see your old message. 

At work there were guys changing tires with impact and not snugging up the lugs with the tire iron, those tires fell off. I always tighten with lug wrench after the impact to be sure.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

At work there were guys changing tires with impact and not snugging up the lugs with the tire iron, those tires fell off. I always tighten with lug wrench after the impact to be sure.

"I'm gonna drive this till the wheels fall off"😀

• Haha 1