Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Hawaii Axis Deer

From what I remember from a buddy... is it super easy to get a tag but the expense of getting there , lodging and getting your meat back is a lot. ... unless you are already there  going and doing this as a bonus.. I would just go to Texas ... but diy is feasible 

Haven’t hunted them myself but been spending a lot of time in Hawaii recently so been doing some limited research. I believe Molokai and Maui are the best options but DIY isn’t very realistic, would likely need to go guided. Lanai could be done DIY but a bit of a logistical nightmare. Very limited places to stay and would need to rent a capable vehicle.

Following along for more insight.

We saw a few on Maui when we were there…I used to follow a guy on either FB or IG that lives there and hunts them a lot. If I can find his info I’ll PM you…he was always helpful to folks asking questions. 

On 1/10/2023 at 4:07 AM, high rise hunter said:

Haven’t hunted them myself but been spending a lot of time in Hawaii recently so been doing some limited research. I believe Molokai and Maui are the best options but DIY isn’t very realistic, would likely need to go guided. Lanai could be done DIY but a bit of a logistical nightmare. Very limited places to stay and would need to rent a capable vehicle.

Following along for more insight.

A few folks I know say Lanai. However, as stated here, they had to ensure they had the logistics under control. Outside of that, they had a good time and were successful. 

i've seen them in waimea canyon and i believe you can hunt archery or rifle, i know archery for sure don't know how the rifle hunt works.

I’ve hunted them on Lanai DIY. We rented a house and the truck came with it. We DIY processed 1 buck and 3 does vacuum sealed them and froze the meat ready for travel. Met a local out in the field who offered help and caped out the buck for $50. Hide was done perfect and ready to be froze. On Lanai you can find quite a bit of rentals for hunting and they include the vehicle. You ferry over from Maui and they pick you up at the bay. You’ll see hunters both local and mainlanders on the ferry with rifles and ice chest/gear. We shipped the antlers fed ex and put the meat/hide  in 4 heavy styrofoam ice chest fit for meat and travel and checked it in on the plane with us. Everything got home with zero issues. I’ve been back and buddy’s have gone and all said it was the best trip ever. Texas has Axis but it’s not the same meat  . Lanai Axis deer meat is hands down the best I’ve had. No predators and what they feed  on on the island makes the difference. Not to mention the view while hunting.  We put in for the draw, I think it’s around $15. If you draw you don’t have to buy your tags till you arrive on the island. If you don’t go they don’t charge you the tag fees. Our first trip out couldn’t of gone they way it did without the help from the locals. Most of it was hunters helping hunters. If needed they have a processor that will have everything done and frozen ready to leave Lanai when you are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpotNStalk said:

I’ve hunted them on Lanai DIY. We rented a house and the truck came with it. We DIY processed 1 buck and 3 does vacuum sealed them and froze the meat ready for travel. Met a local out in the field who offered help and caped out the buck for $50. Hide was done perfect and ready to be froze. On Lanai you can find quite a bit of rentals for hunting and they include the vehicle. You ferry over from Maui and they pick you up at the bay. You’ll see hunters both local and mainlanders on the ferry with rifles and ice chest/gear. We shipped the antlers fed ex and put the meat/hide  in 4 heavy styrofoam ice chest fit for meat and travel and checked it in on the plane with us. Everything got home with zero issues. I’ve been back and buddy’s have gone and all said it was the best trip ever. Texas has Axis but it’s not the same meat  . Lanai Axis deer meat is hands down the best I’ve had. No predators and what they feed  on on the island makes the difference. Not to mention the view while hunting.  We put in for the draw, I think it’s around $15. If you draw you don’t have to buy your tags till you arrive on the island. If you don’t go they don’t charge you the tag fees. Our first trip out couldn’t of gone they way it did without the help from the locals. Most of it was hunters helping hunters. If needed they have a processor that will have everything done and frozen ready to leave Lanai when you are. 

Fascinating. that’s cool. I have never heard a good thing about Hawaiian locals until this. 

My sons friend invited us, the natives can shoot 1 a day. Sounds fun. Not sure if I would do Hawaii just to hunt. Kuai sounds fun

13 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Shot one in Texas last year. Much easier than going all the way to Hawaii. 

Doesn’t Texas have a lot of Texans though?

• Haha 1