Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Crossbow Question

I know, another crossbow thread get out the popcorn…. been bow hunting for 20 years and love it like nothing else (45 y/o). Was looking forward to finally drawing an archery tag this year in the bonus pass and hunt rutting bulls.  Last weekend I got a SLAP tear in my left shoulder after being injury free my whole life.  I start PT tomorrow but I am worried my days of shooting 70# lb may be over?  I am trying to plan since the draw deadline is a month away.  

Do you have to apply for a permit every year, or do you have it permanently once you get one granted?

Pretty sure its permanent!

Crossbows can get expensive . 

I use one when I hunt Wisc. , lots of fun . But that's north woods hunting

. Nothing like AZ hunting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

I know, another crossbow thread get out the popcorn…. been bow hunting for 20 years and love it like nothing else (45 y/o). Was looking forward to finally drawing an archery tag this year in the bonus pass and hunt rutting bulls.  Last weekend I got a SLAP tear in my left shoulder after being injury free my whole life.  I start PT tomorrow but I am worried my days of shooting 70# lb may be over?  I am trying to plan since the draw deadline is a month away.  

Do you have to apply for a permit every year, or do you have it permanently once you get one

I had a similar injury in my right shoulder about 4 years ago from wrestling. I was able to get to 55 a little less than a year later in 2020 and now I am at 70 with no problems and can shoot all day with no issues now. Take the healing process super slow and it'll benefit a ton. I had to bring my bow back down to 25 the first few outings with the therepists permission. 

My dad rushed to recovery with a back injury at 47 years old. He tried doing yard work and archery a month after surgery in his spine and he regrets it. You gotta baby it and it'll pay off for the rest of your life 

• Like 2

Nothing says you have to hunt with it once you get the permit. Had a buddy get a temp one after a surgery, but he healed up and had rehabbed everything by the time season came around and could use a bow again.

Game and fish offers two types, both a permanent disability one and an annual. 

Permit valid: Does not expire unless the medical certification portion of the application indicates the person has a temporary physical disability; then the crossbow permit shall be valid for a period of one year from the date the medical certification portion of the application was signed by the healthcare provider.

• Thanks 1