Okay, needing a few opinions......

I have an bull hunt coming up next Friday and am having a hard time on picking out a round to use. Any avid 7mag guys out there? If so, whats you preference? 140gr, 160gr, 162gr or the 175gr? Any help would be greatly appreciated and used!!

thanks in advance!

-Jeremy-

Okay, needing a few opinions......

I have an bull hunt coming up next Friday and am having a hard time on picking out a round to use. Any avid 7mag guys out there? If so, whats you preference? 140gr, 160gr, 162gr or the 175gr? Any help would be greatly appreciated and used!!

thanks in advance!

-Jeremy-

Any of those weights will work fine on an elk, but my preference would be the 175 grain, especially if it's a Nosler Partition. I've used them on elk with good results out to 250-300 yards and on all sorts of large game including moose and eland at closer ranges.

Bill Quimby

I use the 160 gr. Nosler Partition Vital Shock from Federal on cow elk every year with no problems.

Good luck,

--Bill

Federal loads the 160 Accubond, 160 Partition, 160 TSX, 160 Trophy Bonded Tip, 175 Bearclaw, all good elk loads. But your choice may be limited more by what is left on the shelf this late into hunting season and post-Obama election.

My advice would be use the same round you are using for deer (unless you are shooting a very light bullet). The reason I say this is because if you are shooting the same round for deer year after year, you are probably used to the round. And when it comes time to pull the trigger you wont have to think "okay I am shooting a heavier bullet so I need to hold...." when you start changing bullets and loads you have to learn that load all over again. As you know shot placement is the most important thing. Good Luck.

DD

Be sure you dial it in if you start trying different bullets because they will shoot a little different. I can speak from experience that the Remington 150 gr. Core-Lokt PSP will get the job done and are fairly cheap, but I would consider a heavier bullet like the 175gr. CL-PSP. Whatever you choose, just be sure you are accurate and can put it in the kill zone.

I've had excellent results with the 160 gr. Nosler Accubond- flatter trajetory than the 175 and still packs plenty of punch and bullet expansion- I can punch 2" groups with them at 200 yds with a factory Remington 700 ADL

Jeremy,

I received 300 168 Berger VLD's yesterday but have not worked up a load yet.

If you get in a bind let me know

I have some Rem. and Win. factory loads I can loan you.

I shoot a 7mm Rem mag....700 BDL...and had used it as my antelope gun shooting 139 BTSP Interlocks from Hornady in it and the gun loved 'em. 3 goats @ 100 to 460 and they definetly did the trick. I used that same setup for a Colorado hunt and shot a muley at 589...but lacked the knockdown power. I just switched to the Federal Premium Vital shock Barnes Triple shock in 160 and have had really good results at paper. Good luck to you..I'm hoping I've found a bullet that is a little more versatile..I hate switching ammo.