Sign in to follow this  
SpotNStalk

Gold purchase info

I’m looking at purchasing a 1/2 oz gold bar for my grandsons 2nd bday. Looking for some help on the best place to look or maybe a better route then a gold bar. Loose or coin? 

thanks 

1 hour ago, SpotNStalk said:

I’m looking at purchasing a 1/2 oz gold bar for my grandsons 2nd bday. Looking for some help on the best place to look or maybe a better route then a gold bar. Loose or coin? 

thanks 

Are you looking as an investment or a unique gift? I don’t know any local places to purchase, but for several years my father-in-law was buying gold coins as unique gifts for his son-in-laws and some of the grandkids. I know he was buying them from a local jeweler so that might be a good starting point. 

Go online to APMEX.com. They are very reputable. You can buy bars or coin. Coins are collectibles and can be bought in varying conditions. Stay with the older coins. They have intrinsic value. 

• Like 1

I buy silver at The Coin Gallery on Dunlap and 43rd ave. They sell gold and such too. 

26 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

Go online to APMEX.com. They are very reputable. You can buy bars or coin. Coins are collectibles and can be bought in varying conditions. Stay with the older coins. They have intrinsic value. 

Also, coins are more accepted if there comes a time to cash it in. No one is going to want to buy bullion without testing it first. Even if it has serial numbers or laser etching.

You'd be surprised how small a 1/2 toz gold bar is.

Bullion Exchanges ebay store. Ships faster for free rather than buying on their website. I buy lots of bullion. Other good ones are Apmex, Silvergoldbull, SDbullion. I concur with buying coins  I typically buy 1/4 oz American Gold Eagles and stack in tubes  

https://www.ebay.com/str/bullionexchanges?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DcVmlTfpTRa&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=FLsx1zKLTgi&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

47 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

Bullion Exchanges ebay store. Ships faster for free rather than buying on their website. I buy lots of bullion. Other good ones are Apmex, Silvergoldbull, SDbullion. I concur with buying coins  I typically buy 1/4 oz American Gold Eagles and stack in tubes  

https://www.ebay.com/str/bullionexchanges?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DcVmlTfpTRa&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=FLsx1zKLTgi&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Are they pure gold or 25%?

55 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

The coin itself weighs 0.2727 troy oz, and contains 0.25 troy oz of pure gold. It is composed of 91.7% gold and 8.3% silver/copper alloy. This alloy makes the American Gold eagle a beautiful, yet sturdy gold coin that can accommodate more circulation and handling than pure gold coins.

I have way more silver than gold. 

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Nothing under 12kt or 50%, can even be marketed as gold.

1 hour ago, Curtis Reed said:

The coin itself weighs 0.2727 troy oz, and contains 0.25 troy oz of pure gold. It is composed of 91.7% gold and 8.3% silver/copper alloy. This alloy makes the American Gold eagle a beautiful, yet sturdy gold coin that can accommodate more circulation and handling than pure gold coins.

I have way more silver than gold. 

Is it  a 1/4 size of one that is 100% gold? Are both pure gold?

When you deal with a reputable store thay will tell you percent of gold or silver you're buying and they will sell to you according to market price of gold or silver plus a mark up. 

I have bought several times from Bullion & Coin Exchange in Mesa on Broadway.