Sign in to follow this  
JSR

G&F and state trust lands.

Anyone see this?

does G&F really have the authority to shut down public roads?

if so, they have too much power and it needs to reeled in. 

22F491F9-3231-4112-8872-8DCE8955DAC9.jpeg

• Like 1

It's a lot scarier than it looks. It gives them the opportunity to seek counsel. Could said counsel grant them the opportunity to close access? Maybe? With today's governmental restrictions probably.

“Council” simply means ‘lawyer’.  A lawyer would have no authority to grant them anything, except advice. (In fact it specifically says “…for legal advice…”.)

To me, this doesn’t read at all like they already have the authority to shut down state land access and/or roads.   It DOES look to me like they are interested in exploring the option, though.  

• Like 3

They did it awhile back now but you used to be able to hunt south of Peralta trail all the way down to the canal.  Was great quail hunting back in the day.  Talked to a GF guy and he said they closed it cause some councilmen was complaining about dust.  You can still hunt it but it takes a couple miles in before it gets good.  With all the SXS's running around I'm sure it would have been closed anyway.  Sometimes progress sucks...

Yea they have the power.  They’ve always had the power.  And you’re just learning of it which means they don’t use it very often.  It’s not as scary as you’re making it out to be 

I would assume since the commission has statutory authority over hunting, they can create no hunting areas anywhere in the State, except maybe some federal lands, like federal wildlife areas, not sure about that. I wouldn't think they could unilaterally make a change on state land, only the State Land Commissioner could do that.

If they want to do it, they will find away. Lots of pressure these days and now a new Governor.

6 hours ago, NE AZ Guy said:

I would assume since the commission has statutory authority over hunting, they can create no hunting areas anywhere in the State, except maybe some federal lands, like federal wildlife areas, not sure about that. I wouldn't think they could unilaterally make a change on state land, only the State Land Commissioner could do that.

They both have the power