UggRedBilly

Muzzleloader information for beginners

Just now, Crazymonkey said:

Muzzle-loaders.com lists them for 369.99 and outa stock so probably  a real deal .

Sweet. Imma buy it today then! Would these ship to a house or gun store?

Anyone mind sharing their cleaning process? Shots between cleaning? I always cleaned and shot once before putting back in the safe. But it appears for MLs powder may not be ideal?

switching from triple7 pellets to black horn powder. The gun always shoots great and I just cleaned every 5th shot. And would send one down the barrel after cleaning  never had accuracy issues.

If your switching to blackhorn you can run your normal rifle cleaning components and oil and it will have no effect on powder burn just remember to run a dry patch after you oil it .I've currently got 20 plus shots thru my paramount pro running blackhorn and no need to clean or patch barrel yet. Absolutely  weight the powder charges out if you can the volume  markes on the tube are known to be off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AZBIG10 said:

Anyone mind sharing their cleaning process? Shots between cleaning? I always cleaned and shot once before putting back in the safe. But it appears for MLs powder may not be ideal?

switching from triple7 pellets to black horn powder. The gun always shoots great and I just cleaned every 5th shot. And would send one down the barrel after cleaning  never had accuracy issues.

There is a Lotta blackhorn at basspro. I went at like 7 last night and got 3 8oz packs

3 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

You could shoot all day with blackhorn and not swab once if you wanted.

Spend a couple more bucks and get one direct from CVA with the Nitride. WAY easier to clean with the coating and will really reduce the chances of your gun corroding. $405 shipped to you if you sign up for the emails and get their 10% off code. They don't charge tax or shipping.

• Thanks 1

I have an optima and a paramount. No comparison the paramount is an amazing muzzleloader if you put the time in it will equal most rifles. I have the .45 the .40 gives even more impressive ballistics. 

25 minutes ago, AZHOUND said:

I have an optima and a paramount. No comparison the paramount is an amazing muzzleloader if you put the time in it will equal most rifles. I have the .45 the .40 gives even more impressive ballistics. 

I just bought a muzzy today online. It's the CVA optima v2. It has a 28 inch barrel, the thumb stock and scope mounts. I am excited to learn about these. One day I will upgrade to the Paramount though!

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 1:40 PM, NOTAGS said:

For those of you who are shooting out to 500 yards, the big questions is, how much KE do you have?  Is it enough for penetration and proper bullet expansion?  I  would question  shooting a muzzleloader  at a bull elk at that range .   Ringing a gong is a whole lot  different.

Depends on the muzzleloader.  Mine stays above 1000 ft/lbs to 715 yards.  I wouldn’t think twice about crushing an elk with it at 500 if it was broadside and the wind wasn’t blowing too bad. 

• Like 1