UggRedBilly

Muzzleloader information for beginners

5 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Depends on the muzzleloader.  Mine stays above 1000 ft/lbs to 715 yards.  I wouldn’t think twice about crushing an elk with it at 500 if it was broadside and the wind wasn’t blowing too bad. 

How do you calculate these sorta things?

14 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

How do you calculate these sorta things?

I use the shooter app for quick checks but use my sig 8k and the app in the field.  

• Like 1

Make sure to get the breach plug to run blackhorn for your new gun .They might still have them at sportsmans. I think they are around 40 bucks .Then wrap the threads with Teflon tape to prevent it ever getting stuck . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Make sure to get the breach plug to run blackhorn for your new gun .They might still have them at sportsmans. I think they are around 40 bucks .Then wrap the threads with Teflon tape to prevent it ever getting stuck . 

Would you rather do Teflon tape or the grease that CVA has?

I ran anti seize on my first gun and it's messy then I learned  about the tape trick on the muzzleloader  site and never looked  back .Way easier  to clean and the plugs don't  leak or get stuck.  I do like the tc grease for my other gun that shoots pyrodex  . It looks like and smells  like toothpaste. I use a small brass brush to clean the plug re- tape and it's good to go again. 

• Like 1

Just got my muzzleloader. Added a scope from my 243. It's a vortex diamondback 3-12×40. I am having trouble with the cross hair. Sometimes it can be out of focus. I would like to be able to see the crosshairs and the little pins below the center to learn my bullet drop but they get blury after the first few seconds of looking through. Sometimes I can't even see the cross hair at all. Is this my eye that could be the issue or do I need to focus the scope better?

20230205_110323.jpg

• Like 1

It's probably a little of each. The scope might not have been set for correct eye relief. I like to get the focus dialed in to clean up the cross hairs first then when setting the eye relief I run the scope up to max magnification and make sure I can still  see the hairs clearly  then lightly  snug things down and adjust  the  magnification  back down  and make sure it's still  clean.

• Like 1

Just ordered a 45 cal barrel from match grade for my Thompson frame. I plan on going with the Arrowhead XLDs and sizing to bore. The Blackhorn seems to have become more available but 209a primers are a little tough to get it seems

2 hours ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Just ordered a 45 cal barrel from match grade for my Thompson frame. I plan on going with the Arrowhead XLDs and sizing to bore. The Blackhorn seems to have become more available but 209a primers are a little tough to get it seems

I was at sportmens yesterday and I asked them about 209 federal. They said they don't really get those in. But they get the CCI 209 in quite often though which I heard they work pretty decent

45 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I was at sportmens yesterday and I asked them about 209 federal. They said they don't really get those in. But they get the CCI 209 in quite often though which I heard they work pretty decent

Yeah I heard the cci were comparable. I’ll have to try those if I can’t get the 209a. Supposedly match grade figures the head space based on the federal. Wouldn’t think that would be much different? 

4 hours ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Yeah I heard the cci were comparable. I’ll have to try those if I can’t get the 209a. Supposedly match grade figures the head space based on the federal. Wouldn’t think that would be much different? 

From what I've heard they are just about the same. Imma buy some from midway today. I haven't shot my gun yet