Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

Pistol brace ruling

14 hours ago, galiuro mountain man said:

What is a pistol brace 

It is a "stock-like" (my words) projection off the AR-15 buffer tube that allows one to hold and shoot the gun like a pistol.  Pistol means the barrel is less than 16".  It was intended to assist handicapped individuals (many of them Vets).  This interpretation of the pistol/short barrel rifle (SBR) controversy came about during the Obama/Biden administration (I think), which makes this "OOPS, we messed up" thing so frustrating.  The brace is supposed to help steady the gun on the arm and not shouldered like a rifle.  I think it was an imaginative way around the SBR laws so you did not have to register the gun and pay for the tax stamp if you own a gun with less than a 16" barrel.  The braces do make the firearm very easy to shoulder, though.   

Curtis:  thank you for your insight.  Do you think the limitations of having the tax stamp (no sell/transfer/transport across state lines) are difficult to live with?  

Just reading this and have a question (probably a stupid one that I should know). So, if you have previously purchased an AR pistol with a brace, can you install a 16”+ upper and then keep the brace?  I guess another way of saying it is can you turn an AR pistol into a full length rifle?

Also, as I understand , the lower is the actual firearm so you can keep the upper from the AR pistol as long as it is not put onto something that is not nfa? Do I have this correct in my head?

15 minutes ago, ShutYourLib said:

Just reading this and have a question (probably a stupid one that I should know). So, if you have previously purchased an AR pistol with a brace, can you install a 16”+ upper and then keep the brace?  I guess another way of saying it is can you turn an AR pistol into a full length rifle?

Also, as I understand , the lower is the actual firearm so you can keep the upper from the AR pistol as long as it is not put onto something that is not nfa? Do I have this correct in my head?

Yes to all of that. Now where you have to be careful is with something called "constructive intent". Meaning, you cannot just remove the brace from a pistol and store them both in your safe or even the same room. How far do they both have to be from each other? Great question lol

With the ruling you have multiple options. Remove the brace entirely, keep the brace on and put 16"+ barrel, register as an SBR, destroy the firearm or give up the firearm to ATF. Don't shoot the messenger I am just feeding the garbage that came straight from the donkeys mouth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpowell600 said:

Yes to all of that. Now where you have to be careful is with something called "constructive intent". Meaning, you cannot just remove the brace from a pistol and store them both in your safe or even the same room. How far do they both have to be from each other? Great question lol

With the ruling you have multiple options. Remove the brace entirely, keep the brace on and put 16"+ barrel, register as an SBR, destroy the firearm or give up the firearm to ATF. Don't shoot the messenger I am just feeding the garbage that came straight from the donkeys mouth.

46 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Here's a pretty good review (albeit a bit long) of the fiasco with the ATF -- they are one messed up mis-organization.  
Pew Pew Review

Thank you both!  I feel they have intended for all the ambiguity to be able to apply the rules where and if they want. The whole thing is absurd and makes zero sense to anyone that understands weapons. 

8 minutes ago, ShutYourLib said:

Thank you both!  I feel they have intended for all the ambiguity to be able to apply the rules where and if they want. The whole thing is absurd and makes zero sense to anyone that understands weapons. 

AMEN !!!

12 hours ago, Big Tub said:

Curtis:  thank you for your insight.  Do you think the limitations of having the tax stamp (no sell/transfer/transport across state lines) are difficult to live with?  

State lines? Yeah kind of a drag. But you can sell or transfer to someone else or a dealer. Just takes more paperwork. 

33 minutes ago, dsotm said:

Anyone that applies for this totally not a trap "free" tax stamp is a fool

Anyone that applies and keeps a "brace" on is a bigger fool...  A brace was simply a way to comply.  They are uncomfortable and worthless compared to a real rifle stock.  The whole reason they were made was to comply with federal law..  If you want an SBR, do it right with a nice comfortable stock to shoot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Will this affect the guys who pretend they’re using a handgun on the javelina hunts 

Not if they pay the tax and register it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Will this affect the guys who pretend they’re using a handgun on the javelina hunts 

A more interesting question would be:  Will AZGFD give a straight answer as to whether these are legal without or with the brace?