Sign in to follow this  
muley224

Confused on when elk drop.

Going to do some elk shed hunting this year for the first time. I usually go up north for Mule Deer and know when to go up there. In the past, an outfitter told me that the elk start dropping after Valentines day.  Game and fish say March and April. Just don't want to go too early. Thanks.

March and April is right. If you go mid/late March you'll see a lot of bulls still packing, usually smaller ones. Bigger bulls will drop first. 

• Like 2

It does vary on area and year to year, but the bigger bulls usually shed first around mid March in NW Arizona. If you are going to a popular spot, then you want to go early or they will mostly be combed up if you roll in mid April. If you go to an unpopular spot, better to go later to ensure everything has dropped. My spot I went to for a long time has been having more and more boot tracks and less and less antlers to be found. No luck yet on new spots I've tried. Maybe Saturday will bring a new honey hole, but most likely will just be a long scenic hike per normal...

The bigger bulls are dropping on the WMAR. I was in Pine over the weekend and saw a 4x4 and a couple of spikes still packing.

Any one have a couple brown rag horns ill pay top dollar, granddaughter needs them for school project. Thanks guys.

31 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Any one have a couple brown rag horns ill pay top dollar, granddaughter needs them for school project. Thanks guys.

I have one you can have 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, idgaf said:

I have one you can have 

Where you located, good sir.

2 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Where you located, good sir.

I'm in show low.  I go through Payson biweekly when I have to make an appearance at my office.  You are an electrician right?  I can even buy you lunch and call it a work expense. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, idgaf said:

I'm in show low.  I go through Payson biweekly when I have to make an appearance at my office.  You are an electrician right?  I can even buy you lunch and call it a work expense. 

Cool, 928 978 5096

20 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Woody, do they need to be matching and do they need to be this year?

No they can be all lefts or rights, just horns. Thanks guys