Sign in to follow this  
khartigan

JUNIOR 12A-W FUN, even if it's mulies

Another fun year on the Kaibab. The drive sucks, but the country and solitude is worth it. Although, something happened this year, and my secret spot, usually devoid of hunters was packed with traffic. No biggie though, for some reason 90% of the other "hunters" didn't get the memo to leave their vehicles. So 5 steps off the road and we were on our own.

Friday was chilly, windy and we arrived around noon anyways, so after setting camp the day was about shot. Saturday, we glassed up some nice 4 points, followed by a group of 12 does. Bingo, 250 yards grazing uphill, and so far none had bugered us. The "buck" fever kicked in though and Tanner (16) wasn't able to hold still to take the shot. We tried moving in, but to no avail. Off they went. Another 3 hours of cat and mouse, and we had a group bedding down across the canyon, 380 yards off. Perfect! For two hours the boys got to practice holding steady on a buck bedded under a Juniper. After some ballistics discussions, Tanner convinced me that the shot could be made. Finding two does bedded, the wait was on. Which is a good thing for baking in the sun will get rid of any amount of shakies for that kind of shot. The doe finally stood, and holding 4 - 6 inches high, he hit the mark.

post-2918-1227112736_thumb.jpg

I think he is more proud of the gun than the deer. :blink:

post-2918-1227112710_thumb.jpg

After packing her out, and skinning back at camp, Trevor (12) was itching and time was ticking to the end of his hunt. 10 minutes out of camp and some quick glassing showed nothing, so we moved on down the ridge to a new spot. No need though, for a singe doe feeding 211 yards out presented. No sun this time to bake away the shakies though, so we waited while Trevor collected his nerves. She was quarterd away, and his shot was perfect, placed right behind the ribs through the liver, heart, and some lung. She didn't get very far.

post-2918-1227112747_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, gutpile happiness. :rolleyes: :lol: ;)

post-2918-1227112776.jpg

post-2918-1227112792_thumb.jpg

This has got to be the best hunt for youth. A few years of success, some gutting and skinning experience, and the bug is permanently set for another generation.

post-2918-1227112823_thumb.jpg

Crossing Lees Ferry

post-2918-1227113322_thumb.jpg

Trevor's First Coues from last year.

Gutpile, sincere congratulations on the success and fulfillment of your boy's hunt! I echo Brian's sentiments. NOTHING like a 'kids' hunt!!! (whether it's a doe, cow, buck, bull... doesn't matter!)!

Thanks a bunch for sharing! Myself and my children were up on the Kiabab last weekend as well. As soon as I get a chance, I'll post a couple of pics and a quick story of our weekend. In summary though, my youngest son killed his first deer and his little sister was there with him all the way. Good stuff!!! ;)

Again, thanks much for sharing the pics/story!

S.

:)

Gutpile, sincere congratulations on the success and fulfillment of your boy's hunt! I echo Brian's sentiments. NOTHING like a 'kids' hunt!!! (whether it's a doe, cow, buck, bull... doesn't matter!)!

Thanks a bunch for sharing! Myself and my children were up on the Kiabab last weekend as well. As soon as I get a chance, I'll post a couple of pics and a quick story of our weekend. In summary though, my youngest son killed his first deer and his little sister was there with him all the way. Good stuff!!! ;)

Again, thanks much for sharing the pics/story!

S.

:)

Stanley,

Thanks. The success my boys have had tops all of the hunts I have been on. Congrats on your sons kill. I will never forget their "firsts". My daughter's 9 and she's excited for when she gets to go, but not as much as me!

A big congrats to Trevor and Tanner!!!!! Before you know it they will be guiding there little sister on her first hunt. I wish I could have been there...Joe

Joe,

Congrats on the newest hunter in your family. Can't wait until he joins us in the field. He will have lots of help when he does.

Gutpile