Sign in to follow this  
campmeat

National Egg shortage

I’m just gonna say what we’re all thinking.

85759A97-50D2-41D0-9E96-BCCF7B7DCEA1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have chickens just to make sure I have a couple of eggs, not a money project just a hobby..............so in the past I have just given eggs to neighbors, family etc.......I don't have a lot of laying hens so it isn't like mass production at all. A dozen - 18 eggs a week.

One of my neighbors insisted on paying me $4 for the last dozen I took to her because she felt guilty about what she has to pay at the grocery store :) we live in batsh$t crazy times for sure!!!!!

• Like 3

Got rid of 8 chickens last yr because the bird dog was terrorising  the heck out of them every chance he got.   They would quit laying eggs a week at a time.  Looks like I should have just got rid of the dog.  lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, grey curse said:

Got rid of 8 chickens last yr because the bird dog was terrorising  the heck out of them every chance he got.   They would quit laying eggs a week at a time.  Looks like I should have just got rid of the dog.  lol 

I got hit real hard right before covid by coyotes.........decided I wasn't going to do chickens anymore and then covid hit and I decided I was gonna get back into a few laying hens.....I hatch about 30 chicks every year.....give most of them away and keep a few for replacement...........and I made my coop coyote proof.......

• Like 1

I buy the Jumbo eggs from Walmart, mostly because a lot of them have two yolks. I only eat eggs on Saturday or Sunday morning so a dozen last me a while. I never though to look at the price though.

• Like 1

Just now, PRDATR said:

I buy the Jumbo eggs from Walmart, mostly because a lot of them have two yolks. I only eat eggs on Saturday or Sunday morning so a dozen last me a while. I never though to look at the price though.

Good to know. 

• Haha 5

On 2/1/2023 at 11:53 AM, PRDATR said:

Same ones I’ve been getting for years unless I get fresh local ones. Never checked the price. Crazy it’s so much.

2 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Same ones I’ve been getting for years unless I get fresh local ones. Never checked the price. Crazy it’s so much.

This afternoon they were $5.50 a dozen.

Even backyard chicken keepers are experiencing  a laying shortage from their hens. There was a story last night on Tucker Carlson concerning the big companies like Purina changing their feed ingredients. You want conspiracy? The egg shortage started about the same time the 5G network came online. 

We keep chickens, ducks and turkeys and the hens definitely quit laying last fall even before these cold Temps set in. We're going to add some cat food to their diets and see if that helps. 

Our area bobcats aren't affected by the egg shortage. They're after our birds day and night. I have a surprise lined up for the furry bastards.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Edge said:

Even backyard chicken keepers are experiencing  a laying shortage from their hens. There was a story last night on Tucker Carlson concerning the big companies like Purina changing their feed ingredients. You want conspiracy? The egg shortage started about the same time the 5G network came online. 

We keep chickens, ducks and turkeys and the hens definitely quit laying last fall even before these cold Temps set in. We're going to add some cat food to their diets and see if that helps. 

Our area bobcats aren't affected by the egg shortage. They're after our birds day and night. I have a surprise lined up for the furry bastards.

I've heard of some of this backyard chickens not laying and commercial feed being blamed.

Do you let your birds free range at all?

I'm curious because my birds did the usual slow down in winter but are still productive. We let them run the yard a couple hours every day. We even have a bobcat attack survivor that has recovered and is now laying again.

We're thinking of buying bulk ingredients and making our own feed though. 

• Like 1