Sign in to follow this  
campmeat

National Egg shortage

10 minutes ago, Tropicalmulch said:

I've heard of some of this backyard chickens not laying and commercial feed being blamed.

Do you let your birds free range at all?

I'm curious because my birds did the usual slow down in winter but are still productive. We let them run the yard a couple hours every day. We even have a bobcat attack survivor that has recovered and is now laying again.

We're thinking of buying bulk ingredients and making our own feed though. 

Their pen is large, 100' x 20'  but the only true free ranging is reserved for the ones needing their wings clipped.

41 minutes ago, Edge said:

Even backyard chicken keepers are experiencing  a laying shortage from their hens. There was a story last night on Tucker Carlson concerning the big companies like Purina changing their feed ingredients. You want conspiracy? The egg shortage started about the same time the 5G network came online. 

We keep chickens, ducks and turkeys and the hens definitely quit laying last fall even before these cold Temps set in. We're going to add some cat food to their diets and see if that helps. 

Our area bobcats aren't affected by the egg shortage. They're after our birds day and night. I have a surprise lined up for the furry bastards.

This isnt a conspiracy my friend ! My boss has chickens and said that his hens quit laying when he started giving his chickens feed from tractor supply . he switch and is finely getting eggs again. The more that life goes on and the older I get I realize that the so called people " wearing tin foil hats " are right about most things, and the everyone else is just burring their heads in the sad .

• Like 6

123080.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wife had a few separate woman at her salon saying theirs stopped laying until they started feeding them their leftovers. Thinking about getting the coup going again.

My sister has about 10 birds, feeds them all organic left over food. frozen watermelon, blueberries, they eat it all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, campmeat said:

This isnt a conspiracy my friend ! My boss has chickens and said that his hens quit laying when he started giving his chickens feed from tractor supply . he switch and is finely getting eggs again. The more that life goes on and the older I get I realize that the so called people " wearing tin foil hats " are right about most things, and the everyone else is just burring their heads in the sad .

Yup, our bird feed was coming from Tractor Supply 

Chickens slow down laying with daylight changes.  Ours slowed and are now picking up again.  Like always.  Every year even before the conspiracy theorists were invented.  Even with TSC food.  The reason commercial eggs are high is because they had to kill a billion chickens due to avian flu. They will again this spring when the geese migrate north again.  Anyone who thinks that is a conspiracy is welcome to stop by here in the spring and drive by the downwind side of a snow goose roost in the morning when they go out to feed.  Therell be dozens to hundreds of dead ones laying along the bank every morning.  Not a conspiracy.  Just the way the world worlds. 

15 hours ago, Edge said:

Even backyard chicken keepers are experiencing  a laying shortage from their hens. There was a story last night on Tucker Carlson concerning the big companies like Purina changing their feed ingredients. You want conspiracy? The egg shortage started about the same time the 5G network came online. 

We keep chickens, ducks and turkeys and the hens definitely quit laying last fall even before these cold Temps set in. We're going to add some cat food to their diets and see if that helps. 

Our area bobcats aren't affected by the egg shortage. They're after our birds day and night. I have a surprise lined up for the furry bastards.

We're thinking of a cricket farm to augment the protein for our girls.. 

Big difference between  egg production stopping and slowing down. 

After 40 plus years of having poultry, one gets familiar with the seasonal flow.

• Like 2

I load up a 55 gallon barrel of feed from Hatch Dairy.......mix a bag of crumble in with it as I go......chickens slow down in the winter and pick back up. I think one of my replacement hens was holding out on me cause for a bit all my eggs were green and I knew I shoulda had some brown ones then just last week all the sudden she decided to start layin.......

14 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Chickens slow down laying with daylight changes.  Ours slowed and are now picking up again.  Like always.  Every year even before the conspiracy theorists were invented.  Even with TSC food.  The reason commercial eggs are high is because they had to kill a billion chickens due to avian flu. They will again this spring when the geese migrate north again.  Anyone who thinks that is a conspiracy is welcome to stop by here in the spring and drive by the downwind side of a snow goose roost in the morning when they go out to feed.  Therell be dozens to hundreds of dead ones laying along the bank every morning.  Not a conspiracy.  Just the way the world worlds. 

”Conspiracy theorists” have been right about most everything the past 3 years. 

670AF2A8-F704-429A-AD76-E98819E95BB6.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

”Conspiracy theorists” have been right about most everything the past 3 years. 

670AF2A8-F704-429A-AD76-E98819E95BB6.jpeg

Some People just thrive on that chit. I call them The Do Nothings. They live in a constant state of paranoia crippled by their own preoccupied self righteousness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1