Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Why do we hunt Coues?

I have shot around 30 coues in Arizona and only one of them was bad eating.And that was only because he was so old he was not going to make it through the winter. We had seen the buck for years and when I finally got him the skin was hanging from him and he tasted like bad vinager.I do not think you can say the same for mule deer,when it comes to table fare.

I hunt Coues because I hate the little buggers and want to KILL as many as I can! They deserve it for all the hardship, heartache and expense they have put me through. Watch it Mr. Coues I am out to get you and you better stop mocking me!

Bob

• Like 2

When I went to hunters saftey course in 1971 at age 10, and got my hunting license, my dad put us in for Kaibab. Of course, we didn't get drawn. But, having just gotten my hunting license, I wanted to hunt deer somewhere. As there were always leftover Coues permits down south, we went down there to be able to hunt, at least something. This pattern of events continued year after year. Eventually, I fell in love with the area; which is why in 1995 when I received an opportinty to move there, I jumped at the chance. I now live in area 34A, and occasionally have Coues deer in my back yard.

• Like 1

I have been hunting them for the last 6 years, and i have really come to enjoy them. I enjoy the long hikes it takes to get to glassing areas and more then that i have always enjoyed the challenge of the allusive Gray Ghost.

Why do you choose to hunt Coues over the other deer species?

Is it their beauty? Terrain and country? Technique? Taste? Challenge?

Because some years it's impossible to draw a N. Kaibab permit. :rolleyes:

I grew up in Northern Nevada and always only hunted mule deer. I moved to Arizona and found that these dang coues deer are hard to hunt. Shot my first, in 2013 during a December rifle hunt (also my first tag), which was a 107" deer.

Why I hunt coues... Well they are harder for me to find, which means I can spend much more time in the field and my wife is (somewhat) understanding of it. I use it to my full advantage. Hahaha. No seriously though, they are such a challenge to hunt. I hike long and far, and am passionate about it. I seem to learn something new every time I go out.

Why do you choose to hunt Coues over the other deer species?

Is it their beauty? Terrain and country? Technique? Taste? Challenge?

because there's leftover tags for them

• Like 1

Good post and interesting answers.

I love all hunting, to be there at first light and hear the forest wake is awesome. I especially like coues hunting because of the habitat, the challenge and the beauty of these deer. I am generously rewarded with an awesome experience regardless of success in the hunt.

I am lucky in that I also hunt in New Mexico, mostly for mule deer, but have had 4 coues tags in 12 years (no coues down). So like I said, love all hunting.....☺

Great thread - and lots of great responses so far. I too love to hunt a wide variety of animals. When I'm hunting elk, that's all I can think about. Same with antelope, and mule deer, even javi's and turkey. There's just something special about coues deer that keeps us addicted. The beauty of the habitat they live in, their elusive nature - as others have said how they tend to appear from nowhere and disappear just as quickly.

I think if I had to choose one thing that makes hunting coues different is how it really makes you challenge yourself to slow down, really think like a deer. You get up super early, hike harder, glass longer and push yourself. You find yourself in places few people are willing to go, see things most people will never see and experience a challenge that only coues hunters love for its sheer difficulty.

You can go days on end, working hard, glassing hard and still go home empty handed. But when it all comes together, you know it took hard work, skill and usually a little luck to find a buck you know has outsmarted a lot of hunters, lions and odds to become a mature buck.

• Like 2

That's a very simple question to answer. I hunt Coues Deer, because they are Amazing little deer and I love them!!!!!!