Couzer

What Gun Range does everyone like?

Where does everyone go? Pros and Cons? I'm out in San Tan but don't mind driving to make a all day event out of it. PM me if you like, I know Rio Salado is probably the closest but it gets pretty busy. I only have the weekends to shoot and have a few rifles I'd like to get dialed in. 

I made it to Rio yesterday midday. It wasn't bad.i got right in and had a lane on either side of me open.All the range Masters were in good moods too. Didn't want to leave lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

I made it to Rio yesterday midday. It wasn't bad.i got right in and had a lane on either side of me open.All the range Masters were in good moods too. Didn't want to leave lol

Did you buy a lotto ticket to? Jk that's good to know. It's been a year or two since I've been there. I have a few spots up north at some ranges but looking to stay under 2 hour drive. What does Rio charge these days? I'm thinking about getting a membership at Jim Jones near Payson.

I have a membership for Rio and have been going there since the early 80's. If I need to shoot targets past 200 yards I go out in the desert during the week when there are fewer people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I have a membership for Rio and have been going there since the early 80's. If I need to shoot targets past 200 yards I go out in the desert during the week when there are fewer people.

Good to know, I'll take a look at the membership

9 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I don’t know much, but what I do know is all the good shooting ranges are on the east side

I think Ben Avery is best. Then there is the one on about 7th and Baseline. Rio was great when I first started going there. The rangemaster was always busy doing maintenance so the shooters called cease fires and you could put targets out to 300 yards until about five years ago.

IIRC the rangemaster call the range hot while people were still downrange so their insurance probably nixed putting targets out there.

The Tucson Rifle Club, in 3 Points about 20 miles west of  Tucson,  is probably two hours one way from San Tan. Last time checked it was $100 a year (it has been a while so the annual may have increased). That fee used to cover two people in a household. Even on weekends after 1pm the place is is usually not crowded…you can shoot to 500 meters on the first range and 1k on the long range, if you are a member,  but you gotta have a partner and radios. 

If you just wanna go for the day the 500 meter range midday to afternoon is a good deal at $20. You can bring your own paper or steel. They have pigs at 300m, turkeys at 400 and rams at 500 you can paint. I am in my 40s and I started shooting there in my 20s…I don’t think the  steel they have has been replaced in that time but they did improve the restrooms a few years back :)

• Like 1

Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. Weekend days on the main range that is open to the public is a zoo,  but the members only side ranges are usually pretty good. 

Just have to check the calendar before you go to see if the range you want is open, or booked for a match. 

• Like 1

I'm a member at Rio and it's not currently bad during the week mid day till close. The weekend is a little busy. But being a member you usually will get a bench before the general crowd. It's 150 ish I do believe to join for a single or a little more for family. The 150 is the first time as they add a administrative charge then it's like 125 or so a year afterwards. They just setup a rf I'd reader so you just scan your badge and walk in no waiting like the general during the shooting session. 

It's close enough to run out and shoot a few rounds and know you can do it again another day and not have to rush to try and get all your stuff dialed in .There is always another day to go back.

They also have another  set of bays for longer range you can get on. You have to qualify  to get on them. It's a safety  thing  as they usually  don't  have a ro there. I think  you have to shoot  a few matches  and then they will  sign off your card and you can shoot the other range. There is usually  no one there  or very few people  on it.

• Like 1

I belong to the Wickenburg  Sportsmens Club east of the town. Its private and you have to live within  20 miles of downtown to become a member. 

There's several bays and cover for rifles and pistol, skeet. A thousand yard range and 3d archery course are in the works.

The range is self regulated since it sits mostly dormant once the snowbirds and ropers head home. If you meet Membership requirements, have a member sponsor you, an RSO meets with you to  judge your range and firearm safety knowledge. 

The club wants to have RSOs on hand at the range and will put any volunteers through the NRAs RSO course on the clubs dime.

Eventually the range will have to be regulated by an RSO at all range times just to meet the town and insurance needs. Scores of club members stepped up and got certified to insure the range stays open.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I'm a member at Rio and it's not currently bad during the week mid day till close. The weekend is a little busy. But being a member you usually will get a bench before the general crowd. It's 150 ish I do believe to join for a single or a little more for family. The 150 is the first time as they add a administrative charge then it's like 125 or so a year afterwards. They just setup a rf I'd reader so you just scan your badge and walk in no waiting like the general during the shooting session. 

It's close enough to run out and shoot a few rounds and know you can do it again another day and not have to rush to try and get all your stuff dialed in .There is always another day to go back.

They also have another  set of bays for longer range you can get on. You have to qualify  to get on them. It's a safety  thing  as they usually  don't  have a ro there. I think  you have to shoot  a few matches  and then they will  sign off your card and you can shoot the other range. There is usually  no one there  or very few people  on it.

That's what I was hoping for on the longer range, I'll look into it. Thanks

• Like 1

What’s the deal with getting on the 500m range at usery, you gotta compete in like 3 prs matches something like that. Then you can have access to it I think 

35 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

What’s the deal with getting on the 500m range at usery, you gotta compete in like 3 prs matches something like that. Then you can have access to it I think 

Probably, either that or High Power Silhouette. At least that's how it was years ago when I shot High Power Silhouette and for $5 you could have a gate key.