Couzer

What Gun Range does everyone like?

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

One time the main range was closed and I shot on that 500m range, it was great. Wish they Would just charge like $25 bucks or something a day to use it

That’s exactly why I quit going there.  I bought the membership years ago and thought I could just go to the long range. I was way wrong.  Going to competitions to get access is a waste of time to me.  No offense to those that do that, it’s just not my thing.  I’m sure it’s fun.  My thing is to do some serious shooting at a nice place.  I’m not stupid, I know they have liability and insurance issues with that and everyone thinks they’re real safe and know their way around a gun and don’t think they need to prove it to anyone or need to be told what to do.  I’m not one of those, I think it’s important to earn the privilege and could follow any set of rules given to me.  I called and talked to whoever was in charge and asked if I could pay to take safety tests, certifications or other qualifications in lieu of competitions to get access.  Couldn’t happen.  I put up with the main range for a while and stopped going.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

That’s exactly why I quit going there.  I bought the membership years ago and thought I could just go to the long range. I was way wrong.  Going to competitions to get access is a waste of time to me.  No offense to those that do that, it’s just not my thing.  I’m sure it’s fun.  My thing is to do some serious shooting at a nice place.  I’m not stupid, I know they have liability and insurance issues with that and everyone thinks they’re real safe and know their way around a gun and don’t think they need to prove it to anyone or need to be told what to do.  I’m not one of those, I think it’s important to earn the privilege and could follow any set of rules given to me.  I called and talked to whoever was in charge and asked if I could pay to take safety tests, certifications or other qualifications in lieu of competitions to get access.  Couldn’t happen.  I put up with the main range for a while and stopped going.

I couldn't agree more, this is why I'm thinking about driving to jim jones. You can show up anytime, 24-7.

36 minutes ago, maximus said:

I belong to Jim jones, sometimes I go on Tuesday and no one is there

i really like it

Good to know, dumb questions but are there lights out there?

1 hour ago, maximus said:

I belong to Jim jones, sometimes I go on Tuesday and no one is there

i really like it

Tue 

Deaf, Old, Blind
Public Range
8AM > Noon                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 That's the day I go. Always thought it was funny Tuesday was for the Deaf, Old, and Blind.                                                                                                          There are no obvious lights 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I dont like gun ranges. Most RSOs are so overbearing its insane.

Pima pistol club has been the best tough. 

I go once a year to check my zero and to see/meet the kooky weirdos that frequent the shooting range 

The last time I went to Ben Avery would be my last. It seemed forever between cease fires and I felt the RSOs were a little abrasive. If I see a safety issue at WSC, it's addressed in a stern yet adult way. No one is dressed down. If someone is a repeat offender or doesn't want to heed  the rules they're asked to vacate and their membership will be reviewed. If they refuse to leave,  the town cops or SO will remove them. Ya just got to know how to talk to the LE dispatcher so a Tactical team doesn't respond. 

I have the range to myself  once the Temps go over 80°F.

The way is works at Rio, you have to shoot 3 matches of the same flavor, and if the match director thinks that you show some proficiency with safety, you are oked to use that range, when it is not being used for a match or some specialty group doesn't have use of it. They used to let anyone on the HP and SB ranges and the targets were all shot to pieces, Steel targets were moved all over the place, plastic jugs, rocks and whathave you were shot up and left, so now they do it this way.  Every now and then someone slips through the cracks. It was either at Rio or Ben Avery (Ben Avery used to do their specialty ranges the same way) a guy went to the silhouette range and I guess he thought it was a good idea to bring along his wife and have her spot for him, he was shooting pigs at the 300 meter line, and she was right there spotting his hits for him, right at the 300 meter line. Either Wed or Thursday used to be a maintenance day at Rio and the main range would close, and everyone would shoot at the HP  range.