Sign in to follow this  
andrewmilich

Saw this on tv yesterday. Deer breeding. Monsters

I was watching a hunting channel yesterday and saw this special on  breeding monster deer. They were at cold creek ranch.https://coldcreekranch.com/affirmed-buck-straws-for-sale/

I was watching this with my son and we were so frustrated by this. It seems so unethical and that they were messing with natural design by genetic modification.  Curious about your thoughts on places like this.  

I am not a fan of that personally but I am sure folks with a lot of money will pay for those freaks, nothing but all natural horns for me, whether perfect match or drop tines or weird ones....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrewmilich said:

I was watching a hunting channel yesterday and saw this special on  breeding monster deer. They were at cold creek ranch.https://coldcreekranch.com/affirmed-buck-straws-for-sale/

I was watching this with my son and we were so frustrated by this. It seems so unethical and that they were messing with natural design by genetic modification.  Curious about your thoughts on places like this.  

Places like what, high fence deer ranches or places that sell genetics? 

Our elk came from Yellowstone where the best genetics were and we send them to Pennsylvania now. It’s gotta be cheaper and easier to mail sperm than a whole live deer 

• Like 2

People breed horses, dogs, cattle, cats, goats, chickens, sheep, etc.  

slective breeding deer is not that much different, from an animal husbandry perspective.  

• Like 1

Its a special type of person who will pay tons of money for a special breeded high fence hunt and then they can pat themselves on the back after they shot it.  

High fence albino elk (bear world) discussion: who has seen albino or  melanic hoofed animals in the wild? : r/Hunting

Look there is a monster!  Shoot it before its runs away!!  Oh wait it can't and its used to people petting it.

But all jokes aside I would do private property and high fence in a large plot of land for a cheap price.  But spending over 5k to shoot a tame animal not really. 

• Like 2

Some of these animals are bred for antler size to be used for health supplements, not hunting.  Ignorant game and fish departments have stepped in, in some cases, and shut operations down, thinking these animals are used for canned hunts, when they are not.  

20 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Some of these animals are bred for antler size to be used for health supplements, not hunting.  Ignorant game and fish departments have stepped in, in some cases, and shut operations down, thinking these animals are used for canned hunts, when they are not.  

That makes sense but I did watch a hunting show about deer like these that was strictly rick folk paying to shoot them to hang on the wall. That was probably two years ago.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jesushunt said:

Oh wait Not different then pay a outfitters to take you there and tell you when and what animal to shoot

Still not high fence nor are they breed by human hands to get to that point.  I love DIY but once I get drawn in Wyoming for Elk its so far Im willing to use an outfitter. 

17 hours ago, Jesushunt said:

Oh wait Not different then pay a outfitters to take you there and tell you when and what animal to shoot

Entirely different not even remotely the same. 

On 2/6/2023 at 8:02 AM, andrewmilich said:

I hope you weren’t eating a cheeseburger while doing that, or potato chips, or actually literally anything.  I hope you weren’t doing it in the peace and quiet of your living room with running water and power.  All of those things come from genetic modification.  We wouldn’t have even close to enough food in this world right now if it weren’t for that.   As far as antler size and “hunting” those animals, as long as they’re using the meat it’s no skin off my back if someone wants to do it.  Nearly everyone who goes to NZ and shoots a red stag is doing the same thing, they just don’t tell you when they get home.  I’ll do my thing, you can do yours, we’re all on the same team.   

• Like 1