Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Shipping container garage

Has anyone ever done anything like this? I came up with this idea in my head last night. Then I used the internets…… so I’m not original but at least I had the idea! Curious if it saves money? I’d pry do it on a slab and with metal purlins and truss’s.

78D08903-471B-4680-85E3-D0A26E0BCA64.jpeg

• Like 2

We had one at a construction yard when I used to work construction. It was nice because you could work under it out of the sun/rain/etc. You could park under it, keep materials under it, etc.

You could secure you tools and more valuable materials in the connex boxes, and if you really wanted you might be able to park in one of the boxes. 

The roof was built with leftover purlins and metal roofing. It wasn't as fancy as your picture, but it got the job done for us. 

18 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Has anyone ever done anything like this? I came up with this idea in my head last night. Then I used the internets…… so I’m not original but at least I had the idea! Curious if it saves money? I’d pry do it on a slab and with metal purlins and truss’s.

78D08903-471B-4680-85E3-D0A26E0BCA64.jpeg

you buy the beer and bbq, we can do an old fashioned barn raising!

• Like 3

Helped a guy out that was building one of these on 40 footers. Pretty dang nice. We built his roof up off the containers 3 feet to add storage on top of them both and also we added doors to the sides under the roof to enter regular door and not the ends. We put solar on it and he runs an inverter and generator. He did slabs under the containers and added the middle slab later.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

23 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Helped a guy out that was building one of these on 40 footers. Pretty dang nice. We built his roof up off the containers 3 feet to add storage on top of them both and also we added doors to the sides under the roof to enter regular door and not the ends. We put solar on it and he runs an inverter and generator. He did slabs under the containers and added the middle slab later.

That’s kinda what I was thinking, slabs under containers first. What did you build the roof out of?

He ordered trusses that were some standard, the pitch was to one side and we built in some pitch in the steel we added to the top of the containers. We did have to add extensions to capture the roof steel. 

Theres a few youtube vids of folks building these

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I heard some of the ones from the border were gonna get auctioned off but don't know where.

I’ve been seeing them trucked west on I-10 and now I’ve seen a bunch of them I believe at the Los Reales landfill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

I heard some of the ones from the border were gonna get auctioned off but don't know where.

I heard they’re going by the jail in Tucson. I see them on the freeway everyday but can’t find any info if they’re selling them or not.

I'll ask the lady that told me. I'll see her Tuesday.  I think they are hard to come by since COVID.

34 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I'll ask the lady that told me. I'll see her Tuesday.  I think they are hard to come by since COVID.

I see them for sale everywhere but I’m a tight as s and hate paying retail.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

They were but they are not anymore... but they are still at least double of what they used to be before the storage.