mpriest

28 Nosler load data w/ H1000

I’m starting load development for my 28 Nosler using H1000 powder. I plan to try 180gn Berger VLD, 195gn Berger EOL and 175gn Hornady ELD-X. I emailed Berger, Hornady and Hodgdon for their load data from them. Hornady told me to buy their book. The data that Hodgdon send me for min and max loads was 10gn lower than the data by Berger. Through some searching the min/max data by Berger seems more correct. Does anyone have load books for these bullet/ powder combos that they could message me or post. If it matters I’ll be using Federal 215 primers and ADG brass. TIA

i just loked at my book and berger doesn't have 28 Nosler, for the Hornady you can download their app on your phone and get the specific cartridge, i think is like $5.00

26 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I use the 180 hybrid with 80 gr of H1000. It is very near Max.

Thanks. Hodgdon gave me a max load of 69.5 for the 180 VLDs. Seems low to me. Berger was at 77.1 for max.

I've been shooting the 180 Hybrid, F215GMM and 80 grains of H1000 for years. I've killed coues in October and elk in December with 0 issues. 

12 hours ago, mpriest said:

I’m starting load development for my 28 Nosler using H1000 powder. I plan to try 180gn Berger VLD, 195gn Berger EOL and 175gn Hornady ELD-X. I emailed Berger, Hornady and Hodgdon for their load data from them. Hornady told me to buy their book. The data that Hodgdon send me for min and max loads was 10gn lower than the data by Berger. Through some searching the min/max data by Berger seems more correct. Does anyone have load books for these bullet/ powder combos that they could message me or post. If it matters I’ll be using Federal 215 primers and ADG brass. TIA

There's no data for 195g in the Hodgdon manual. This from the 2023 manual, for the 180g Berger it's 74.8 to 79.6 grains maximum with H-1000. For the 175g Nosler with H1000 it's: 72.8 to 77.5 grains maximum. I would drop the 180 grain starting load by 10 % and work up for the 195 grain. Do yourself a favor and measure the head diameter of your brass so you can determine the maximum load for your rifle. Don't use anybody elses load or try to go by flattened primers etc. Head diameter should not exceed .0008" after fireform. Measure in front of extractor slot to one ten thousandths. On COAL( Cartridge Over All Length) start at magazine length with the starting load and back seating depth off from there. You can buy the new Hodgdon manual for $13, that's not expensive. Lastly you should always start load work with brass that has been fireformed in your chamber! 

9 hours ago, L Cazador said:

There's no data for 195g in the Hodgdon manual. This from the 2023 manual, for the 180g Berger it's 74.8 to 79.6 grains maximum with H-1000. For the 175g Nosler with H1000 it's: 72.8 to 77.5 grains maximum. I would drop the 180 grain starting load by 10 % and work up for the 195 grain. Do yourself a favor and measure the head diameter of your brass so you can determine the maximum load for your rifle. Don't use anybody elses load or try to go by flattened primers etc. Head diameter should not exceed .0008" after fireform. Measure in front of extractor slot to one ten thousandths. On COAL( Cartridge Over All Length) start at magazine length with the starting load and back seating depth off from there. You can buy the new Hodgdon manual for $13, that's not expensive. Lastly you should always start load work with brass that has been fireformed in your chamber! 

Thanks for the info. Those powder charges match better than what Hodgdon sent me. 

I don't understand Hodgdon sending you something totally different than what is in their manual? Could your request have been slightly different?