stanley

Taking Care of Feral Cattle in Gila National Forest

This article just caught my eye.  Glad to see it.   

Of course our own feral horse population here in AZ came to mind.  Thinking the Forest Service managers all over the west (and country) might be watching this closely to maybe help with solution(s) in other forests and/or wilderness areas.  

S.

Kill order for New Mexico feral cows issued by US officials (yahoo.com)

• Like 2

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-environment/2020/12/09/feds-start-cattle-roundup-verde-river-amid-environmental-complaints/6486299002/

We had that issue here too! 

Had a buddy that helped out years ago, he reported they were extra wily and would hold up in the steep, thick stuff requiring dogs to chase them out. They managed to push out the few that cooperated but left plenty behind. I would imagine that strengthens the renegade bloodline in the subsequent generations.

I would rather have them on my dinner plate than being picked apart by buzzards. Unfortunately, the reality of a wild cow round up is not as easy as one might think.  

Still, would be one heck of an experience.

• Like 1

Id be willing to hunt those things. I wish they would allow special permits to hunt them out of there first. Some guys are crazy enough to bring out as much meat as possible.

I know guys that have tried to round up those mavericks, and they always seem to get a few, but never the desired amount. 

If you read about Arizona's earliest history when they were first trying to discover routes across state and follow rivers, they write about encountering wild cattle.   This was especially true in south east Arizona.  Supposedly early Spanish settlers abandoned them when they left due to hostile conditions mostly related to Indian encounters. They write about how dangerous the wild cattle were and would attack men and horse, often killing them.

Arizona has a serious feral donkey and feral horse problems.  They say a feral horse/donkey population doubles every 4-6 year if gone unchecked.  Somebody in a position of leadership needs to grow a pair and deal with it but they are all afraid of the woke blind fools.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

I burro meat good in burritos?

I bet they are delicious....depending on how hungry you are. 

Kidding aside my uncle tells a story where 50-60 years ago Northern Sonora had a feral burro population. Story goes that they were "removed" for meat. Problem solved quickly and very efficiently at nearly zero cost to the community. 

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

I burro meat good in burritos?

True story:  LONG time ago my older bro was waiting tables at the Westward Look while in college, and some customer from back east asked him what a chimichanga was.  Brother responded that it was a "fried burro".  Customer asks with a surprised look; 'You guys eat those things out here???'! 

S.

#burronotburrito ;)

• Haha 4

I've had horse steak before, it was amazing!  Really tasted like beef.  

• Like 1

The negative ecosystem effects of feral horses, burros, and to a lesser extent cattle, have been well documented and there is no sound reason why they should not be removed. (And I don't consider being "majestic" or a "symbol of the West" to be sound reasons.)  I think letting individuals hunt them for their personal consumption seems like an elegant solution. It wouldn't cost the gov't money unless they wanted to issue tags and do check-ins or something like that. Even with that, the costs would be minimal.

For some unknown reason, YouTube routinely suggests hunting video to me and I've seen a bunch from Australia where they hunt horses, cattle, and camels.  And the camel back-straps they cook up over the campfire look dee-licious. 

• Like 4

I agree. The federal "wild horse and burro" act needs to be repealed and states should be allowed to manage them, including culling and/or allowing harvest by hunters.

• Like 3