Sign in to follow this  
Savageman2506

Good Intro Tripod

Hey y'all,

First time poster, but I've been lurking for a while now. I'm much more active on another Arizona hunting forum but this site is great as well.

I haven't hunted coues deer yet, but I've been doing a lot of hunting in N. AZ and I've decided that now is the time to up my glassing game, especially if I want to get into coues hunting in the future. Currently I've got some Leupold 10x42 BX-2 Alpine binoculars, not great but serviceable until I can save for Swaros. 

What's a good tripod that can support binoculars and a 65mm spotting scope for around or under $250? I know you "get what you pay for" but unfortunately I can't afford the "best of the best" right now, being a college student and saving for an engagement ring for a special lady. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated 

Manfrotto 290 carbon fiber tripod. been using one for a number of years. Sturdy and not heavy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dustin25 said:

Promaster xc325c with a pan head like sirui va-5 or Benro s2

My plan is to eventually buy a Sirui VA-5 head, as apparently it's the end-all be-all for glassing heads. I follow Jay Scott on social media and that's what he always recommends, as well as many others. 

1 hour ago, AZAV8ER said:

Manfrotto 290 carbon fiber tripod. been using one for a number of years. Sturdy and not heavy.

I'll check it out. Thanks

29 minutes ago, Savageman2506 said:

My plan is to eventually buy a Sirui VA-5 head, as apparently it's the end-all be-all for glassing heads. I follow Jay Scott on social media and that's what he always recommends, as well as many others. 

It’s definitely a good one. I’ve had friends thatve used them for years. I went with the Benro. It’s been excellent except the handle bolt came loose and rattled around in the side by side to the point it stripped out so I had to epoxy the whole thing on. That was years ago and it’s still going strong.

my opinion, as far as function, those 2 heads are equal. The va-5 seems built a little sturdier, more metal pieces, weight is virtually identical,and is what I’d probably go with if mine craps out on me at some point.

little side note, my promaster came with a very usable ball head that also panned, so if moneys a little tight, it should work fine until you get a pan head. In fact my wife still uses the promaster head and likes it…

as far as the promaster xc325c vs the manfrotto 290, id 100% go with the promaster. Much much lighter and just as stable. There are also some slik equivalents that are pretty nice as well that I have friends that really like.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

as far as the promaster xc325c vs the manfrotto 290, id 100% go with the promaster. Much much lighter and just as stable. There are also some slik equivalents that are pretty nice as well that I have friends that really like.

I looked for the xc325c and it appears to be out of stock everywhere, possibly discontinued? I couldn't find it on the promaster site either, although the xc525c came up. 

Slik tripods also look pretty good. I want to get a tripod that will last me a long time and hold up to abuse. My buddies both had Vanguards that broke/lost pieces this past deer season, so I don't want that happening to me. 

I use a Manfretto 290 xtra with a Promaster SPCH 20 and primarily use either 10x42 EL's, 15x56 SLC's or 12x42 NL's. It is very stable and the Promaster is super smooth.

I also have an Athlon 15-45x65 but mostly use it at the range and do notice more shaking then I would like when it is windy. I would think that using a string and a weight bag would minimize that. I am going on about 3 years with this setup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Savageman2506 said:

I looked for the xc325c and it appears to be out of stock everywhere, possibly discontinued? I couldn't find it on the promaster site either, although the xc525c came up. 

Slik tripods also look pretty good. I want to get a tripod that will last me a long time and hold up to abuse. My buddies both had Vanguards that broke/lost pieces this past deer season, so I don't want that happening to me. 

The 525c is similar just 5 leg sections vs 3. I prefer the 3 because it’s more convenient and quicker to mess with 2 locks per leg vs 4, and I think it’s probably a little more stable. The 525 takes up quite a bit less room though. Might matter to you, mine gets strapped to the side of the pack so it’s a non issue. 
one other preference to think about is twist vs lever locks. I’ve used both and have got used to either… but I prefer twist locks

• Like 1

there’s a 5 leg tripod!? Lmfao.

I like the twist locks because they’re quiet, but I can’t get used to them. 

poverty af but $199 vortex works. They’re heavy but they’re tall and sturdy 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

there’s a 5 leg tripod!? Lmfao.

I like the twist locks because they’re quiet, but I can’t get used to them. 

poverty af but $199 vortex works. They’re heavy but they’re tall and sturdy 

That's good to know too. Maybe one of the local shops will have a display model I can check out. I'm not too concerned about weight, I don't "backpack" hunt for multiple days, and I'm young and dumb 😂

The manfrotos seem easier to get without a tripod head which I would recommend.  For the price vs value I like the benro s2 but looks like the va5 head is cheaper now then what I remember it being in the past.

For $150 the 290xt tripod is a great value and still lighter then my vanguard alta264ao that I'm using.  

• Like 1

Consider if you are going to glass while standing up or just sitting down.  If standing, you will probably want a tripod that is tall enough without using the center column as the extended center column allows a lot of vibration.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

Consider if you are going to glass while standing up or just sitting down.  If standing, you will probably want a tripod that is tall enough without using the center column as the extended center column allows a lot of vibration.

Yeah, I generally sit to glass, but my buddies who hunted in 36B this year said there was some areas with grass so tall they had to stand to glass. I'm considering the manfrotto 290xt because of all the suggestions and the fact that with a bino adapter it will be tall enough to glass with standing, I think.