richs4839

Scope vs Scope Question

I have had some previous posts about long range shooting. It seems like the general consensus was I need to upgrade my scope and rifle combo. I have been looking to go from my Ruger American Predator 6.5cm to a Tikka 6.5PRC. Haven't found the right deal yet. Back to the scope topic. I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 on my Ruger American Predator. The feedback I received on previous posts lead me to believe I need to upgrade my optics. ( I have a 2 year old and another one on the way so cant just go spend $1,500 on a new scope) I was scrolling through my email today and saw an email from euro optic. Advertising a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 EBR-4 MRAD for $299,99. Basically the same price I bought the Diamondback for. I am just wondering if anyone has experience with the Strike Eagle? Would this be an upgrade from my Diamondback Tactical? Or wait until I can spend a $1,000 + for higher end scope? As always, thanks for the advice! 

My buddy asked me if he should buy a strike eagle or a Nikon. I told him friends don’t let friends buy vortex, get the Nikon. Being the good listener he is, he bought the vortex. Guess what, came broken brand new. Trucked to the left and right when you would turn the turret up or down. Sent it back and got it repaired but it still did it. He wishes he didn’t buy a vortex now. Too many issues. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Im not familiar with the Vortex Diamond back. How far are you planning to shoot? and like the previous question from Curtis, will you be bench shooting? Hunting? or both? Why you need to upgrade your rifle and scope? Scope doesn't track good? Doesn't have a good clear image at 4, 5 or past 600 yards? Your rifle doesn't shoot good groups?

Is hard to give you advice not knowing all the details... but I have a cousing the loves the Vortex Viper PST, my friends love thier Zeiss, my brother loves Leupold and my personally have had great luck with Sightron and Sigs.

There are other scopes out there but you must willing to spend 2,500 + dollars for them.

12 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Im not familiar with the Vortex Diamond back. How far are you planning to shoot? and like the previous question from Curtis, will you be bench shooting? Hunting? or both? Why you need to upgrade your rifle and scope? Scope doesn't track good? Doesn't have a good clear image at 4, 5 or past 600 yards? Your rifle doesn't shoot good groups?

Is hard to give you advice not knowing all the details... but I have a cousing the loves the Vortex Viper PST, my friends love thier Zeiss, my brother loves Leupold and my personally have had great luck with Sightron and Sigs.

There are other scopes out there but you must willing to spend 2,500 + dollars for them.

Brother I wish I had your money. LOL

Check the long range forum classified section  they have a optics  section  and do have some deals . My experience  with  vortex  rifle  scopes is this . Bought  4 new scopes and 2 were junk outa the box. There only good for the warranty  and you will  need it .

• Like 1

Someone just posted a Zeiss for $650 a minute ago. See if it’s a good deal(check eBay and compare) and buy it if you have the cash. 

• Like 3

Just some personal experience. Vortex makes an ok scope they are hit or miss. Doesn't matter the model. Some come out great others not so much. I personally do not buy more vortex scopes. I have a couple that are great others had issues. Personally if you were looking for cheap but great glass look at leupold freedom line.

• Like 1

L

8 minutes ago, Dano562 said:

Just some personal experience. Vortex makes an ok scope they are hit or miss. Doesn't matter the model. Some come out great others not so much. I personally do not buy more vortex scopes. I have a couple that are great others had issues. Personally if you were looking for cheap but great glass look at leupold freedom line.

Great advice right here from Dano, I couldn't agree more.

I think the old saying you get what you pay for is pretty true when it comes to optics

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, 218buck said:

I think the old saying you get what you pay for is pretty true when it comes to optics

Yup!

I've also been filtering away from Vortex for the same reasons as everyone above.  I've had some great ones that have been dead on with everything and I've had to send a few back and still didn't trust them.  I'm selling a brand new, never mounted Zeiss V4 3-12x56 that was a warranty replacement for an older Zeiss I had.  There's a post for it in the classifieds, but PM me if you want more info directly.  They're $950 brand new and I've got it listed for $800 obo.

• Like 1