Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Model Seven 17 Fireball

Anyone have some load data that has worked well for them? Going to load 20 grn ZMax's. Just seein what works, if anyone has a good load. TIA

20230222_163544.jpg

I shot 19.4 gr H335 at 4000 fps with CCI 450 with 20gr Zmax. That bullet is pretty feeble in the wind so I favored the 25 grain ither one evaporates prairie dogs unless the wind is blowing and forget it if it's raining and muddy, you'll never see your hits. It's tough on barrels. I smoked mine in 600 rounds. Too much powder capacity for that little bullet! The Hornet is the best case for the 17. You can always throttle it down. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I will try the H335 and work up from there. What kind of distance on the Prarie dogs? Were you able to hit out to 200 yards consistently? 

I was able to hit consistently out to 300 yards with the 25 grain but the 20 grain is no slouch out at 300 yards. No wind of course. H335 packs the case better and groups are easily in the .250" range. I also got great performance with H-4198 but you can't find that powder nowadays. Enjoy!

• Like 1

32953C8D-4209-448B-B058-0278B5AB8869.thumb.jpeg.28c5c308587bdf7cb9c13c30496b2b2f.jpegNot the exact bullet but I shoot the 20 grn dogtown HP’s out of my M700 in front of H322. Very accurate and evaporate prarie dogs and rabbits. Killed a javelina with them as well. Haven’t chrono’d it 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I was able to load some rounds late last night. Going to hit the range on my next day off. I used H335 started out at 17.5 grn to 19 grn. I also had some Win 748, so I loaded a few with that to. The dang polymer tip on a few kept coming out getting stuck in the seater die. I set them all .02 off the lands, hopefully with good results. 

20230222_232147.jpg

2 hours ago, Fern said:

What did you use on the primers nail polish?

that a way to identify them?

Color sharpie marker, just makes it easy to identify. Also have the # of grains marked on the side of the brass.

Drill the seating die stem area that contacts the tip of the bullet out so you prevent any deformation of bullets. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

Drill the seating die stem area that contacts the tip of the bullet out so you prevent any deformation of bullets. 

Good idea! I'll look at it next week when I'm back in town. I think you are on to something there 👍