Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Educate me on freshwater fishing AK

Been invited to Anchorage for a few weeks in June. I've already salt fished around the state and made portage Ketchikan to Nome. So interested this trip to fish Anchorage area within a few hours.

Will probably pack a gold pan and detector so if you've got any info on public gold recreation sites, a holler is appreciated. 

Let's get me educated!

• Like 2

One of the main reasons I want to go back to AK is for the freshewater fishing.  I had a 35-lb class king salmon on and it broke the line at the boat after bouncing out of the net.  It was too far in the spawn to keep, so it would have been catch/release.  That was up on the Susitna River out of Talkeetna.  Of course, my wife lander her 25-lb class king (also too far in the spawn to keep) and never lets me forget.  I need to go back and get my king, but want to also go after dolly varden, char,  and those fat rainbows on mouse pattern with my fly rod.  I'm almost more interested in those than going after salmon again!  I've looked a few places up in hopes of a return, so holler at me if you want me to dig them back up for you to look at.  If you don't still have my cell, let me know.  Pretty sure I still have yours!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Google Alaska Outdoor Forums. For some reason when I try to post a link CWT turns it into a red X.

I'll give them a try.

I've never taken a firearm  on a plane,  what's the rules on that and ammo?

51 minutes ago, Edge said:

I've never taken a firearm  on a plane,  what's the rules on that and ammo?

It has to be in checked in luggage, not carry on and ammo has to be separate. I have a two gun Pelican rifle case I use and it has a place where you can put four padlocks. They have to be non'TSA approved locks and only you can have the key. WHen you get to the airport tell them you have a firearm to check ann they will guide you to the TSA booth. They will swab the outside of the case down for explosives and give you a form to fill out. Then you will open up a corner of the case just enough to slide it in.

I bought four keyed alike master key locks and spray painted them satin black to match the Pelican case and then went to Tempe Trophy and had a metal name plate made up with my name and phone number and attached it to the front of the case with some 8/32 screws with lock washers and nuts on the inside with loctite. I bought some black nail polish and painted the screw heads.

• Like 1

It is a drive from Anchorage,  but look into the pike fishing  in Minto Flats. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Siwash said:

Yes, please!!

6 hours ago, Siwash said:

Meh, only 481 miles.