Sign in to follow this  
Sonorakitch

Odyssey Batteries--BEWARE

Hi All,

Just so I can educate others on the pitfalls of spending a fortune on "a great battery"...and wish I had looked closer at the warranty. Paid over $300 a little over a year ago for an Odyssey Battery for my Jeep as I often spend time in the boondocks and wanted something reliable. Went from an Optima red top that lasted 8 years (impressive) but migrated to Odyssey because I'd heard about premature failure of Optima Batteries recently. Well...I got a little over a year out of this Odyssey and tried to have it replaced under their warranty program. They denied the coverage due to an interesting clause in the warranty, namely section A. "End of Life...even when prior to warranty expiration". So now I'm stuck with an overpriced box of junk. Beware folks...and look elsewhere for your hunting rigs!! 

Love my optima in my jeep going on 3 years . Wish I could find them for my diesel truck when the batteries hit the sh# t. Both times were back in 6a way back in the unit . Can't seem to find them when the truck needs them and for the cost of batteries in Payson I'd hate  to replace  them just because. 

AGM batteries need a slightly higher charge than the stock alternator puts out. They need 14.1 to 14.8 volts to stay happy. Look up voltage booster. I bought one for my 5th gen 4Runner. It plugs right in and uses the factory fuse. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Odyssey. I'm running a Northstar X2. I believe it is the same as Odyssey. ???

So what is the scoop on "end of life". When my Platinum Diehards had one not holding a full charge after 6.5 years I looked at Odessey  but ended up getting two X2 Power AGM's from Batteries Plus as they were having a rebate and a 10% off and have 930CCA. 

I went to Batteries Plus and changed them out in the parking lot. Doing so I saw that the cases were from the same exact mold. They did weigh a few pounds less than the Die Hards which were 65#'s each. I now have had them in for 3 years and no issues but I have a higher amp alternator from DC Power. I worked for Johnson Controls when they bought Optima and got them for $55 with free 2nd day delivery from FEDX but the CCA was about the bare minimum for my 7.3 F250 and one went out after just over 2 years.

I like the AGM's since there is no hydrogen off gassing to corrode the cables and you don't have to worry about spillage or maintenance.

5 hours ago, DUG said:

AGM batteries need a slightly higher charge than the stock alternator puts out. They need 14.1 to 14.8 volts to stay happy. Look up voltage booster. I bought one for my 5th gen 4Runner. It plugs right in and uses the factory fuse. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Odyssey. I'm running a Northstar X2. I believe it is the same as Odyssey. ???

Good info on the AGM charging requirements.  I have had an X2 Power in my T4R for 3.5 years with nary a problem.

NorthStar makes the X2 Power ( sold by Batteries +), but just rebranded.  I had a NorthStar tech tell me that in 2019 when I was looking for a beefy battery for my T4R.

He said get an X2 and save a few dollars, get a better warranty and easier to exchange if needed, as they are the exact same battery. I appreciated that and did when they had a sale and rebate soon thereafter.  My OTD cost was $310.   Pricey but a top notch battery and really nothing when amortized over the 5+ years it will last. 

Eddie

P.S. I looked into the Odyssey battery and was not liking what I was finding given the premium price.

• Like 1

Straight from the Odyssey Warranty document:

"The warranty does not cover a Battery reaching its normal end of life which may occur prior to the warranty periods stated above. Depending on the
application, a Battery can reach its normal end of life before the end of the Applicable Warranty Period. A Battery can deliver only a fixed number of
usable amp-hours over its lifetime and is considered to have reached its normal end of life if the application uses up all of these amp-hours, regardless
of the time the Battery has been in service. Therefore, Manufacturer reserves the right to deny a warranty claim if it determines the Battery to be at
its normal end of life, even if the claim is filed within the Applicable Warranty Period."

This is what they pulled after three emails and four phone calls to Odyssey's claims department. Yes, it did take that long to receive a response. So basically the above verbiage is a catch-all for any battery they decide they don't want to replace. Infuriating. So just want to make sure you all don't make my mistake and neglect the "fine print". 

With regards to the AGL charge rates, that's good advice. I only would like to point out that my Optimas over many years (also AGM) have always lasted. Kept hearing about a decline in quality and that is why I went to Odyssey. Big mistake!!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sonorakitch said:

Straight from the Odyssey Warranty document:

"The warranty does not cover a Battery reaching its normal end of life which may occur prior to the warranty periods stated above. Depending on the
application, a Battery can reach its normal end of life before the end of the Applicable Warranty Period. A Battery can deliver only a fixed number of
usable amp-hours over its lifetime and is considered to have reached its normal end of life if the application uses up all of these amp-hours, regardless
of the time the Battery has been in service. Therefore, Manufacturer reserves the right to deny a warranty claim if it determines the Battery to be at
its normal end of life, even if the claim is filed within the Applicable Warranty Period."

This is what they pulled after three emails and four phone calls to Odyssey's claims department. Yes, it did take that long to receive a response. So basically the above verbiage is a catch-all for any battery they decide they don't want to replace. Infuriating. So just want to make sure you all don't make my mistake and neglect the "fine print". 

With regards to the AGL charge rates, that's good advice. I only would like to point out that my Optimas over many years (also AGM) have always lasted. Kept hearing about a decline in quality and that is why I went to Odyssey. Big mistake!!

THat's a bunch of BS.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 11:17 AM, PRDATR said:

So what is the scoop on "end of life". When my Platinum Diehards had one not holding a full charge after 6.5 years I looked at Odessey  but ended up getting two X2 Power AGM's from Batteries Plus as they were having a rebate and a 10% off and have 930CCA. 

I went to Batteries Plus and changed them out in the parking lot. Doing so I saw that the cases were from the same exact mold. They did weigh a few pounds less than the Die Hards which were 65#'s each. I now have had them in for 3 years and no issues but I have a higher amp alternator from DC Power. I worked for Johnson Controls when they bought Optima and got them for $55 with free 2nd day delivery from FEDX but the CCA was about the bare minimum for my 7.3 F250 and one went out after just over 2 years.

I like the AGM's since there is no hydrogen off gassing to corrode the cables and you don't have to worry about spillage or maintenance.

What alternator did you get for your 7.3 ?

I guess that I should upgrade mine.

17 hours ago, azbow said:

What alternator did you get for your 7.3 ?

I guess that I should upgrade mine.

DC Power, I think it is a 160amp.