Sign in to follow this  
Big Nasty

34B Antelope

Pulled my first ever Archery Antelope tag.  Unit 34B.  I know the unit real well as its about 30 min from my house.  Any pointers on hunting these speed goats?  Dont need locations....just any tips as I am a newbie with this animal.

Appreciate the help,

Phil

• Like 1

Waste any time what?  Asking other people if they have tips on hunting an animal I have never hunted before? Yes....I have read books, watched TV shows, been in the field etc.  Did not ask for a honey hole, didnt even ask where to hunt.  I know where to hunt.  Appreciate your time....feel free to move on if you have nothing of value to add.

• Like 7

I would try to pattern the heck out of them. Spot and stalk is doable though many choose to hunt from a blind near water. Congrats on getting the tag.

• Like 1

Don’t get your panties in a bunch there little fella. Maybe I’m just a little raw from not drawing anything yet again, and you’re asking for help 5 seconds after finding out you drew a tag. I was just amazed at the turnaround speed, wasn’t saying anything negative. 

Congrats on the tag, don’t mind me I’m just pouting 

• Like 1

Fair enough Dustin.  Appreciate that and I need to be a little less sensistive as well.  Been a long week at work. 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Big Nasty said:

Fair enough Dustin.  Appreciate that and I need to be a little less sensistive as well.  Been a long week at work. 🙂

You are just a little excited

It was a great unit, went to nothing and now has mostly come back.  Now I have not hunted that unit for antelope since 1990 but I suspect things have not changed that much except a few more houses.  PM me and we can chat.

My buddy does archery lope hunts. He has a 1 pin sight. Also he will use that goofy pronghorn hat to trick their sight. Not sure if that's really needed. But he likes it. Knee pads are a must plus whatever protection you can get. Get used to crawling for a distance with a bow too. Also get used to duck walking

If it's dry water water water. Good luck!

• Like 2

Been on 5 archery antelope hunts. Use to be easy to draw.  They. Like particularly areas and have a pattern to their escape route usually.  

Thank you all.  I hunt the unit often for Whitetail and took a nice muley out of the Las Cienegas a few years ago.  Always see the Antelope.  Defintley have the knee pads and dont mind crawling in the rocks, cactus and grass.  Im just not sure how to stalk these buggers.  Not like a deer where I have terrain or trees to work with. Out in the open is a whole new ballgame for me.  Might try a decoy and there is enough water around there I am not sure I can plan for a water hole or not (Especially that late in the Monsoon season).  Will be a blast either way!  

3 minutes ago, Big Nasty said:

Thank you all.  I hunt the unit often for Whitetail and took a nice muley out of the Las Cienegas a few years ago.  Always see the Antelope.  Defintley have the knee pads and dont mind crawling in the rocks, cactus and grass.  Im just not sure how to stalk these buggers.  Not like a deer where I have terrain or trees to work with. Out in the open is a whole new ballgame for me.  Might try a decoy and there is enough water around there I am not sure I can plan for a water hole or not (Especially that late in the Monsoon season).  Will be a blast either way!  

Archery antelope Is not as tough ad people make it out to be 

You'd be surprised how close you can get to them on horse back, or from behind one.... 

• Like 1