Sign in to follow this  
Big Nasty

34B Antelope

9 hours ago, zackcarp said:

You'd be surprised how close you can get to them on horse back, or from behind one.... 

Well up till archery season.  By the time the gun season rolls around, you can't get to within 300 yrd.  They stopped the gun hunts down there a long time ago.  I helped a bow hunter years later and it was a tough HOT hunt.  He got eleven shots and no harvest.  He was not a disciplined archery but it was a fun hunt.  We saw over 100 antelope per day on my hunt in 1990.  On his hunt excluding the pet antelope behind the no trespassing signs at the fire station, we did not see 100 antelope the whole hunt.  Much better now.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zackcarp said:

You'd be surprised how close you can get to them on horse back, or from behind one.... 

BTW:  there were so few rutting bucks on my buddy's hunt that the wildlife biologist who is now a G&F Manager had to sneak through the fence near Sonoita to go grab some poop that he saw that big buck drop.  That buck was ok size-wise but he was servicing 22 does!  That section of land down there is the only area I have ever seen that was legitimately post no trespassing on all four sides.  

Good pointers here. Agree on water if you can find what they’re hitting and get them patterned. Spot and stalk is a blast and definitely get a decoy…I’d go with a predator decoy if I had another tag. I spent my hunt in 19a spot n stalk in the mornings and evenings and sat water through mid-day. Had as many shot opportunities each way, but much closer on water and ended up killing mine on water. 2 dozen arrows is about right LoL Another hunter on the same water hole after I had killed ended up leaving his blind wearing a “be the decoy” hat and a tan shirt and walked right up 50yd from the buck he killed.

The herd or two I’ve seen pretty regularly on Empire Ranch always seem huntable if there’s a buck you like. Decent rolling terrain at least. 

Just a different idea,  lopers are very curious.  Google using a white flag. Wavy it around,  get their attention. Stop repeat.

Another little know trick, hide and seek. Walk right out in the open , then quickly drop,  hide behind a tree or bush. Repeat. They can't stand it !

Might not work all the time but worth a try, may get one close enough.

Article:   For a short window in the fall–late September through mid-October–you can lure a pronghorn with a handkerchief (a white T-shirt works, too). You’re appealing to the animal’s curiosity, territoriality, and herd dominance. Just wave the fabric until you get the buck’s attention, then lower your flag. Periodically raise and lower it to keep him interested and coming. I have my best luck when I tie a hanky to the barrel of my gun. That way I can raise the muzzle to get the buck’s attention without showing myself.

Waving a flag , can usually stop a running or moving buck. Giving a shot opportunity. 

• Like 2

Put your time in patterning them out. I used the predator decoy and was lucky enough to get one to come into archery range. That's a badass hunt! Good luck!!!