Sign in to follow this  
Edge

1964 (Found it)

My grandfather told me he shot an antelope with an old sportized Mauser out past 400. He said it was his favorite hunting rifle. He actually said he had quite a few after ww2. Sold them all and regretted it.

I'm not quite  as old as some of you guys 70s  baby  but I due remember  walking  into turners outdoors  and finding  sks ,Enfield  and such rifles on the racks still in cosmoline  for around  a hundred bucks . Also 1k rounds of 7.62x39 were 89 bucks on sale . Bought a sks and a AK back then and always  seemed  to have several thousand  rounds for each .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

I'm not quite  as old as some of you guys 70s  baby  but I due remember  walking  into turners outdoors  and finding  sks ,Enfield  and such rifles on the racks still in cosmoline  for around  a hundred bucks . Also 1k rounds of 7.62x39 were 89 bucks on sale . Bought a sks and a AK back then and always  seemed  to have several thousand  rounds for each .

Same here...I think $100 was expensive for sks then...also remember the local AFB in TN selling surplus M1s for about $100. I should have listened to my dad and bought one.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Same here...I think $100 was expensive for sks then...also remember the local AFB in TN selling surplus M1s for about $100. I should have listened to my dad and bought one.

I can remember $69 for 1K rounds.

I remember when I could fill up my gas tank for $100

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Dad bought me my first deer rifle (Winchester 30-30 Mdl. 94AE) at Smitty's on Shea and Tatum circa 1984. 

I think about it every time I drive past that Fry's now.

That purchase was easier than buying cough medicine today.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HorseHunter said:

My Dad bought me my first deer rifle (Winchester 30-30 Mdl. 94AE) at Smitty's on Shea and Tatum circa 1984. 

I think about it every time I drive past that Fry's now.

That purchase was easier than buying cough medicine today.

Smittys was my goto store. The one on Stapley and McKellips had a Garden Center and the wife, me and daughter could have breakfast with change back from $10. I miss those pre Walmart Days.

• Like 2