Sign in to follow this  
Cambow

Reloading for Long Range Question

14 hours ago, L Cazador said:

I shot competition long range for many years and still shoot short range competition. I use a single kernel tuned beam scale and a FX120 digital scale to verify weights. For 600-1000yard competition I weigh every charge. For short range I use a Neil Jones powder measure and drop my charges. For long range yes a tenth of grain can mean the difference between shooting a 2 inch group or a 5 inch group. I've found that using the correct powder for that rifle can make a huge difference on great extreme spreads. Seating depth and the correct bullet seated at a depth that will produce great ES and great groups also impact accuracy and point of impact, by the way what is POA? With all that said I also sort bullets by weight and base to ogive. My advice is leave nothing on the table! Check out Eric Cortina's video on You Tube on this subject. To go with all this you need to be a good wind reader as well. No easy task. As an aside I use only custom made bullets for competition.

Thanks for the response... I really appreciate it and that was supposed to be POI... my mistake!

17 hours ago, L Cazador said:

I shot competition long range for many years and still shoot short range competition. I use a single kernel tuned beam scale and a FX120 digital scale to verify weights. For 600-1000yard competition I weigh every charge. For short range I use a Neil Jones powder measure and drop my charges. For long range yes a tenth of grain can mean the difference between shooting a 2 inch group or a 5 inch group. I've found that using the correct powder for that rifle can make a huge difference on great extreme spreads. Seating depth and the correct bullet seated at a depth that will produce great ES and great groups also impact accuracy and point of impact, by the way what is POA? With all that said I also sort bullets by weight and base to ogive. My advice is leave nothing on the table! Check out Eric Cortina's video on You Tube on this subject. To go with all this you need to be a good wind reader as well. No easy task. As an aside I use only custom made bullets for competition.

I couldn't agree more, good advice 👍