Mountain

What elk bugle/call to buy?

My huntin buddy drew a early rifle bull rut tag and I'm not sure on what bugle/call I should look into buying. I want a good quality call. I was thinking of one from Rocky mountain calls. I have a cow call but no bugle. Any help/recommendation is appreciated.

I'm betting you won't need one if his hunt is right after archery. By that time the bulls have heard them all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you want to use a bull call, I would find a piss head bull call, meaning a real Young bull. Its almost like a screach, but at that time of year the big boys want to be the first to kick his little butt. Carlton calls used to have one.

• Like 1

Last couple of years I have been using a single reed rocky moutain elk call for making cow sounds, bugles, chuckles, and a few other noises. Works just fine for me. Had a few come right up as late as Oct 10th last year. Start with a single and learn then go from there. You'll find what works best for the size of the call, how many reeds etc. It's more about what fits your mouth when you call not just the quality and brand too. But those can also help also

• Like 1

I know a few people that have had success with using fox pros. Doesn’t get any easier then pushing a button if you don’t get good at calling. I have been on a few early rifle elk hunts no calling was needed. We used our glass till they got trigger happy. 

• Like 1

Love mine, gets them going and doesn't have the hollow tube sound. And I suck at mouth calls. Good luck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Last couple of years I have been using a single reed rocky moutain elk call for making cow sounds, bugles, chuckles, and a few other noises. Works just fine for me. Had a few come right up as late as Oct 10th last year. Start with a single and learn then go from there. You'll find what works best for the size of the call, how many reeds etc. It's more about what fits your mouth when you call not just the quality and brand too. But those can also help also

This……

On 3/18/2023 at 11:57 PM, Huntandfish said:

I know a few people that have had success with using fox pros. Doesn’t get any easier then pushing a button if you don’t get good at calling. I have been on a few early rifle elk hunts no calling was needed. We used our glass till they got trigger happy. 

Forgive my laziness, probably won't look it up, but is that legal?

18 hours ago, 654321 said:

yes legal in AZ

Hmm...  I guess the trade off here is I don't get to annoy my wife to the point of her leaving the house to go thrifting if I'm not practicing my elk calls all summer long.  Give to get I guess...

Watch Steve Chappell videos on YouTube. Arizona guide who is the master caller. Alot of info on frequency and technique. You can't be an eagle if you sound like a pigeon.

Never did an early bull hunt but did plenty of rifle cow hunts.  Didn't need much more than a good locator bugle to get into elk, including big bulls.  Much different having to pull bulls into archery range vs rifle range.  

• Like 1