Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Brass annealing

Looking  for some help getting  approximate  200 rounds of lapua 7-08 once fired brass annealed  .My plans were to buy my own setup but my wife  has different  plans  with my money. Apparently  the house needs painting  and new flooring  and the driveway  needs  to be extended  so I won't  have funds for my own setup.  If you have the equipment  and time I'd be willing  to pay a reasonable  amount. Time is not a big issue  as I won't  need them till the end of May  for a texas pig hunt the first week  in June.  I'm in gilbert  and work  in Phoenix  so some place in between  would  be ideal.  

image.thumb.png.1b1255d29ba778f5ee170144ef8d09be.png

get your drill out, put on a socket holder and a socket that your brass fits loosely into. hold it near the flame and rotate low rpm, job done.

• Like 3

I have an induction annealer if you want to borrow it. 

Im in south gilbert

its not automated though so you will need to drop each piece in by hand. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JSR said:

I have an induction annealer if you want to borrow it. 

Im in south gilbert

its not automated though so you will need to drop each piece in by hand. 

Thank you I'll send  u a pm

54 minutes ago, andyyy said:

get your drill out, put on a socket holder and a socket that your brass fits loosely into. hold it near the flame and rotate low rpm, job done.

Thanks but 7-08 lapua brass is expensive  and hard to come by . So I'd like to try and keep with  a more consistent  process  so I don't  bugger up my brass.

32 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Thanks but 7-08 lapua brass is expensive  and hard to come by . So I'd like to try and keep with  a more consistent  process  so I don't  bugger up my brass.

if you think that's expensive you should price check my lapua 300prc lmao. it works great and is as consistent as you are. there isn't much to annealing.  but whatever makes you feel comfortable/confident is most important

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyyy said:

Best inrevision I ever made, after trying to anneal with brass in a vice grip and twisting my hands.  I also just bought one of these for my new 6.5PRC to help get even more consistent https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025230687?pid=660075

I used andyyy's method (drill with socket) on my expensive Nosler brass for my 6.5WSM and had no issues.

3 minutes ago, IA Born said:

Best inrevision I ever made, after trying to anneal with brass in a vice grip and twisting my hands.  I also just bought one of these for my new 6.5PRC to help get even more consistent https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025230687?pid=660075

I used andyyy's method (drill with socket) on my expensive Nosler brass for my 6.5WSM and had no issues.

Glad 2 know it worked for you! Save that cheddar, buy more powder instead 🤘

• Like 1

Just now, andyyy said:

Glad 2 know it worked for you! Save that cheddar, buy more powder instead 🤘

To be fair, it was Lance Kenyon that convinced me to start and do what you're doing, but it was easier to say "I''m doing what andyyy is doing".  Works great and now I can't justify getting an annealing machine.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, andyyy said:

yep trick as old as time, rotate (somehow)  and roast

I'd agree  brass is expensive.  How are you able to get a repeatable heat from case to case ? The tool from midway would help but there is a point  to where your supposed  to heat your brass to correct? If you under aneal it would  be useless  and if you  go to long you can  ruin good brass . I'm  not saying  it won't  work as I've done the torch and water dip technique  to stretch brass out from 30-30 to 357 harret . But if consistency  is paramount  to accuracy  how do you keep consistent. 

Frankly the only way to anneal is with an AMP annealer everything else is just guesswork. Lapua brass is annealed and that should last for 4-5 firings unless you're doing long range work with your ammo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I'm  not saying  it won't  work as I've done the torch and water dip techniqu

Have you found quenching to affect the results of annealing? I would have thought quenching should be avoided but never tried it. 

24 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Have you found quenching to affect the results of annealing? I would have thought quenching should be avoided but never tried it. 

I've only done  it on the 30-30 cases .I was splitting  necks trying  to form and stretch  the neck to .357  . Used a old cake tin and filled  with water just short of the shoulder  and heated the neck and tipped the case in water and it worked . Not exactly  precise  on annealing  but enough  to make  the cases for my 357 harret. It's for a tc contender  and it's a wild cat round .I did get some 4227 and 1680 from you awhile  back for it . It's a hand full at 1900 fps and a 10 inch barrel.