Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Toyota Dealer Recommendation

Its crazy, there checking our kids out. And they don't give a Damm.

39 minutes ago, twigsnapper said:

Registration fees(taxes) are based on where you live not where you bought the vehicle.

Registration fees and sales tax are two seperate things.

30 minutes ago, JSR said:

Registration fees and sales tax are two seperate things.

Correct, some people refer to registration fees as registration tax, completely separate from sales tax.

I'll put my half cent's worth of thoughts in on this. I've purchased my last two Toyotas, new, using the Costco Auto Buying program (2008 FJ Cruiser 6 speed manual and a 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium).

Each purchase was with a different dealer (Camelback and Right Toyota) and since this was a Costco referral, I dealt with reps that weren't the 'regulars' on the sales floor. Right Toyota, I worked with Mark Settell and he was great to work with, no BS. 30 min operation and was in and out. Unfortunately, Mark passed a way a couple of years ago, however, when I'm ready to move away from my 4Runner, I'll be using the same Costco Auto Program again. No question.

Hope this helps and if your kid is looking for a gig in the SaaS industry, have him reach out to me in a PM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Exactly.  because they buy new cars when they can’t afford it.  My wife is a stay at home mom, we have young kids and I earn a public servant salary. I’ve bought my last 3 cars in cash, haven’t made a car payment in 10 years, no debt, 6 figures in retirement, pension and set to retire in 5 years at age 50 and i feel that I still can’t afford a new car. Never got a dime from anyone. Teach your kids how to manage money and they won’t be living paycheck to paycheck. 

I have never bought a new car in my life. Don’t own a credit card. Don’t be a slave to the bankers. 

Being able to make a monthly payment doesn’t mean you can afford it.  But hey, if you all want to work until your Social Security age, knock yourselves out!

Not trying to be a troll… trying to help people have financial freedom. 

Curtis ramsey

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmoto said:

I'll put my half cent's worth of thoughts in on this. I've purchased my last two Toyotas, new, using the Costco Auto Buying program (2008 FJ Cruiser 6 speed manual and a 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium).

Each purchase was with a different dealer (Camelback and Right Toyota) and since this was a Costco referral, I dealt with reps that weren't the 'regulars' on the sales floor. Right Toyota, I worked with Mark Settell and he was great to work with, no BS. 30 min operation and was in and out. Unfortunately, Mark passed a way a couple of years ago, however, when I'm ready to move away from my 4Runner, I'll be using the same Costco Auto Program again. No question.

Hope this helps and if your kid is looking for a gig in the SaaS industry, have him reach out to me in a PM.

When I was looking for my wife's 4runner I tried to go through costco and there wasnt a dealership in town with any costco deals. Ended up at Big Two in Gilbert

• Like 1

Big Two is where I bought my 2023 Tacoma too but Im still waiting on it.

They were the only one that did not try to force me to buy a bunch of dealer add ons like Tire nitrogen, paint protection, lojack, etc. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 8:00 AM, trphyhntr said:

Do you have a link to a source. everything I’ve read on ADOT said tax is based on where they take delivery of the vehicle. But maybe I missed it 

See my previous post link is there.

8 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah, but that’s not a source. 

Arizona government supplied website calculating the tax is not a source?  Not sure what you want here unless its some citation from the statute.

I agree with all the posts that it is very confusing the difference between use tax and sales tax and whether they are the same thing in the case of a car.  Perhaps that is the root of all of the confusion here.

20 minutes ago, JiminAZ said:

Arizona government supplied website calculating the tax is not a source?  Not sure what you want here unless its some citation from the statute.

I agree with all the posts that it is very confusing the difference between use tax and sales tax and whether they are the same thing in the case of a car.  Perhaps that is the root of all of the confusion here.

Idk what post you’re referring to then, I didn’t see that. I saw one where you said the dealer did something for you. 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:13 PM, JiminAZ said:

OK so the state has a car sales tax calculator here:  https://usetax.az.gov/Home/VehicleUseTaxCalculator

The state has a base tax.

Then there is a county tax added on

Then there is a city tax added on

I played with it enough to determine that the state tax never varies, the city tax is based on where you live, and the county tax (at least in Maricopa) seems to be stuck at zero.

Oh, yeah I meant the actual law that says you can pay tax for the city you live in and not where you take delivery. Not a tax calculator.

It’s Just out of curiosity is all, I really don’t care that much. It probably is the law idk. 

I know one thing....I would NEVER do business with Camelback Toyota, even if they tried to pay me to take a new vehicle.  What a collective group of scumbags!  And I mean that in the nicest way possible....because, I mean, I went in to buy a car and expected shenanigans from car salesmen.  Their level of asshattery was epic.  

I had a deal for a Tacoma done over the phone.  Salesguy (I feel bad for him...he was the pawn in this scenario) sent me some of the paperwork electronically.  It was set.  I specifically asked about dealer add-ons and other crap.  I was told they don't do that to people and it was absent from the quote I received.  Awesome!  

I bummed a ride from Sierra Vista to Phoenix to get my new truck.  The salesguy took me to the off-loading yard because the truck had just arrived that morning.  We looked it over, and he said he would have it put together quickly (remove the white sticky-plastic-paint-protection, etc). 

When we got back to the main building to do paperwork, the sales manager had to talk to me, because, you know, that's how it works.  That is when he laid it on me.  The agreed-to price was before dealer add-ons.  And they did over $7k in add-ons:  paint protection, door edge guards, window tint, and a market adjustment.  I told them I just saw the truck with the white-film on it, so don't add that crap to my truck.  He said it was already on it.  I called b.s.  General manager came over to talk...the whole game.  "Let me see what I can do for you."

Long story shortened, I walked away.  They tried every trick in the book to get me back in there.  Sad what they were doing to people (because you know there were people who did not know enough to walk away and got screwed).  Luck for me, my ride was still in town to bum a ride back home!

Two days later, I had a deal on a new truck with my local guys.  No gimmicks, no asshattery.  I just had to wait a month for delivery.  I feel like I got a good deal on a new truck without the b.s.  And with my savings, I turned Camelback's Walmart-brand tint into lifetime-warrantied ceramic tint, their paint protection (spray wax?) into a ceramic coating, and their door edge guards into a slight suspension upgrade (Bilstein 6112/5160 combo)...for about $4,500 less than buying from Camelback.  

Sierra Toyota got my business.

39 minutes ago, Hucker said:

I know one thing....I would NEVER do business with Camelback Toyota, even if they tried to pay me to take a new vehicle.  What a collective group of scumbags!  And I mean that in the nicest way possible....because, I mean, I went in to buy a car and expected shenanigans from car salesmen.  Their level of asshattery was epic.  

I had a deal for a Tacoma done over the phone.  Salesguy (I feel bad for him...he was the pawn in this scenario) sent me some of the paperwork electronically.  It was set.  I specifically asked about dealer add-ons and other crap.  I was told they don't do that to people and it was absent from the quote I received.  Awesome!  

I bummed a ride from Sierra Vista to Phoenix to get my new truck.  The salesguy took me to the off-loading yard because the truck had just arrived that morning.  We looked it over, and he said he would have it put together quickly (remove the white sticky-plastic-paint-protection, etc). 

When we got back to the main building to do paperwork, the sales manager had to talk to me, because, you know, that's how it works.  That is when he laid it on me.  The agreed-to price was before dealer add-ons.  And they did over $7k in add-ons:  paint protection, door edge guards, window tint, and a market adjustment.  I told them I just saw the truck with the white-film on it, so don't add that crap to my truck.  He said it was already on it.  I called b.s.  General manager came over to talk...the whole game.  "Let me see what I can do for you."

Long story shortened, I walked away.  They tried every trick in the book to get me back in there.  Sad what they were doing to people (because you know there were people who did not know enough to walk away and got screwed).  Luck for me, my ride was still in town to bum a ride back home!

Two days later, I had a deal on a new truck with my local guys.  No gimmicks, no asshattery.  I just had to wait a month for delivery.  I feel like I got a good deal on a new truck without the b.s.  And with my savings, I turned Camelback's Walmart-brand tint into lifetime-warrantied ceramic tint, their paint protection (spray wax?) into a ceramic coating, and their door edge guards into a slight suspension upgrade (Bilstein 6112/5160 combo)...for about $4,500 less than buying from Camelback.  

Sierra Toyota got my business.

Bet there are a ton of stories about that place! They sold me a vehicle danged near 30 years ago that was less than a year old and 18k miles. In a few days I noticed weird noise coming from bottom of motor when revving. After a couple of hours of investigating found the oil pan was pushed into the pick up screen and the noise was the oil pump whining as it was trying to pick up oil. The front quarter panels and hood were replaced, radiator etc. Definitely had been in an accident. When the general manager said he was not going to do anything about it because I signed the as is papers I pretty much at that point started trying to dissuade anyone in the showroom from buying from them. I guess the GM didn’t like me telling him I was going to kick his butt so he called PD so I left. Vowed to never buy another vehicle owned by the Van Tuyl group again!