Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

Turkey choke recommendations for youth 870

Good afternoon,

My son was fortunate enough to draw a spring turkey tag for this upcoming season. Since I’m fairly new to turkey hunting shotguns. Does anyone have a turkey choke that they recommend for a youth model 870 (20 guage)? 

thanks in advance, 

Cameron

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

Good afternoon,

My son was fortunate enough to draw a spring turkey tag for this upcoming season. Since I’m fairly new to turkey hunting shotguns. Does anyone have a turkey choke that they recommend for a youth model 870 (20 guage)? 

thanks in advance, 

Cameron

I would look into some of the premium loads from Federal. Whatever you go with call the manufacture and ask what choke they recommend. They usually know what works best in the common guns. Saves a lot of time and money. 

• Like 1

My experience has been that you have to experiment with a few different loads in your gun and whatever choke tube you want to run. Some combinations work great and others not so much. My personal combination is an Indian Creek choke with Winchester longbeard XR loads, (but that's in a 12ga mag). Best of luck.

• Like 1

Hunt around (Ebay) find a Hastings turkey choke, Winchester or Federal 3" 5 shot, limit the shot to less than 40 yards...daughter was successful every year of her youth hunts an now 1 year as an adult...that's all I got to say about that 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Just keep in mind, turkey loads kick like a freaking mule!

I plan on letting him practice with regular loads, so when it comes go time he’ll be in for a little bit of a surprise 😂

• Like 2

P.S. we patterned 9 different loads, those two were constantly the best (the Kent golden pheasant were a close third) out of several different chokes, the Hastings was head and shoulders above the others though.

We practiced with regular 20 ga shells, she never said a thing about the recoil of the turkey loads...the first 4 or 5 gobblers I called in the first year it was like someone plugged her into 110v, wouldn't have missed it for the world

7 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Just keep in mind, turkey loads kick like a freaking mule!

Or worst 

Go to pattern masters.  Code black turkey. Around 100 bucks. Just don’t shoot steel.  Tungsten is ok.  Guys using them are knocking turkeys at 60 yards and further. 

Like others have said, you can try several different loads/choke combos to find the best one.  My kids started with Hevi Shot Magnum Blend 3" 20g shells.  My daughter still uses those in her Mossberg 500.  I switched my son to Apex TSS #9 20g 3" shells for his youth gun.  You can spend a ton of money on chokes, but my favorite has been the HS Strut Undertaker XT.  Its about $30 most places.  It patterns most all of the high-density turkey shot beautifully.  Both of my kids' 20g are super tight patterns with that choke and I ended up switching to if finally, for my 1187 with 3.5" HeviShot Magnum Blend.  I can't argue it one bit.  My son started hunting with his Tristar 12g last year and the same choke with Apex 3" TSS #9 shot was super tight.  I highly recommend the HS Strut Undertake XT ported.

I kind of went the other way. I bought a choke that I liked the specs on, and then loads to see what it liked. Sure, buying expensive turkey loads sucked, but it was much better than buying a bunch of chokes to shoot a particular load. 

• Like 2