Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

Turkey choke recommendations for youth 870

22 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

I have one you can borrow, If we're close.

Screenshot_20230322-141002~2.png

Thank you for the offer, Sir. However, I might as well invest in one myself so I’ll have one for future hunts. 

You may want to consider just using a full choke, pattern it, and then stick to the reliable distance or less.  Kids will probably only shoot that gun for a year or two and then want to move up to a bigger gun with more distance. I have this super light and short 20 ga single shot that my kids learned on.  You had to download the shells as it kicked like a mule with standard loads.  Again, greed took over quickly and they want guns with more booms.  But now the grandkids are approaching the same age and I am looking forward to that.

5 hours ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

Thank you for the offer, Sir. However, I might as well invest in one myself so I’ll have one for future hunts. 

Borrow it and see how the gun shoots with a choke of that restriction. Just because a particular choke gets great reviews it really comes down to what works with a particular barrel. Just like bullets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Borrow it and see how the gun shoots with a choke of that restriction. Just because a particular choke gets great reviews it really comes down to what works with a particular barrel. Just like bullets.

This...

I found my 870 with a full choke shot better than the sx3 auto with a turkey choke a few years back. Shells were almost  impossible  to find so I didn't  get to run a few different  loads thru and so I just took the 870 the first time . Fast forward  and now I've got the sx3 auto figured  out but still  can't  hit crap with  a shotgun  .