bowhunter-tw

Bullet seating confusion

Maybe yall can help me ubderstand what might be going on…

rifle is a browning A bolt in 7 Rem mag, 9.5 twist factory barrel. Im using “RP” headstamped brass trimmed and deburred. Hornady 162gr interlock boat tails.

I was trying to use the once fired case with a squeezed in neck and bullet to determine my dimension to the lands. I did this a few times and the bullets ends up at the same spot in the case, so I figure this is where my lands start? Then, I seat a bullet in the sized case about .020” deeper. Check it in the chamber and I think im seeing rifling marks?? If I seat it deeper, like another .020” (.040” from lands), there are no marks. So what am I missing? I dont think bullet is moving on extraction when measuring lands

Are you using a Sharpie to mark the bullet so you can see the marks from when the bullet contacts the lands?

2 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Are you using a Sharpie to mark the bullet so you can see the marks from when the bullet contacts the lands?

I was polishing them with some fine steel wool, i’ll post a picture of what im seeing here in a few minutes. I will try the sharpie also

I use a sharpie or magic marker from the ogive back about 1/4-3/8's inches all around the bullet but you can also use the soot from a candle flame.

I used to do it the way you are doing it and still do on some of my rifles. It can be touchy and almost have to have a feel for how much pressure you are essential jamming it in the lands. 

I'm in the east valley if you are close, I think sportmans has the case in stock. I don't think I have the 7mm case. But more than welcome to use this. 

Screenshot_20230325_102719_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vowell said:

I used to do it the way you are doing it and still do on some of my rifles. It can be touchy and almost have to have a feel for how much pressure you are essential jamming it in the lands. 

I'm in the east valley if you are close, I think sportmans has the case in stock. I don't think I have the 7mm case. But more than welcome to use this. 

Screenshot_20230325_102719_Chrome.jpg

This.

hornaday makes one also

• Thanks 1

Put a bit of lube on the bullet. I think you're in the lands and the bullet is being pulled out as you extract it. Best way is to remove the firing pin assembly and seat deeper till you feel no tension or the bolt handle drops fron weight. If you buy the Hornady gauge use lube on the bullet to get a better reading. 

• Like 1