Sign in to follow this  
andyyy

Diesels in Valley

Getting new truck and thinking of a duramax instead of gas. But concerned about the MPG and longevity of stock trucks. It will need to be registered in the valley. Anyone have any reccomendation for tuner shops or experience on whether it's worth "off road" tuning when you have to renew in valley? PMs welcome and thanks in advance.

With valley emissions it is hard to delete trucks since you have to pass inspection. If you just use a tuner on a stock emissions truck you plug the filters faster, and those filters are not cheap. 

On my 2018 ram it gets 18 mpg if I don't  drive it like I stole it. Thing with tuning  and deleting  is unless  you can register  up north it's a pain  as you have emissions  every  year. 

My truck is a 2000 so I have to do emissions every year. When I bought it new I did not have to do emissions for the first five years. Is that not the case anymore?

• Like 1

New=no emissions for 5 years. If you buy a new one, drive it stock until the warranty is up then delete it and find someone with an address out of town you can register it to. Pretty simple and takes just a few minutes at the 3rd party DMV offices. My 2018 cummins also gets about 18 around town and 20-21 on the highway 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

New=no emissions for 5 years. If you buy a new one, drive it stock until the warranty is up then delete it and find someone with an address out of town you can register it to. Pretty simple and takes just a few minutes at the 3rd party DMV offices. My 2018 cummins also gets about 18 around town and 20-21 on the highway 

I bought a 2017 ram out of Texas that was deleted and it passed emissions last year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 5guyshunting said:

I bought a 2017 ram out of Texas that was deleted and it passed emissions last year.

Stealth delete?

1 hour ago, Adicted said:

Stealth delete?

Not sure. I do know the cat was cut open on top. Saw that when I pulled the bed off. My wife drug the dually bed around a pipe bollard at mickey D,s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5guyshunting said:

Not sure. I do know the cat was cut open on top. Saw that when I pulled the bed off. My wife drug the dually bed around a pipe bollard at mickey D,s.

Hate when that happens 

Hey all Thanks for the info. I did not realize the 5 yr rule. Looking at mostly new now that inventory is common and prices are back to earth. Chevy or ford, the stupid rear seat compartment in the new rams makes putting a Packout there a pain in the butt.  Also didn’t realize you didn’t have to use primary res thanks greyghost. 

the diesel shops i called didn’t offer much info. Skittish about the topic over the phone

On 3/31/2023 at 4:04 PM, 5guyshunting said:

In todays age, that bollard wrap issue is McD's fault for putting in a place that you can hit it.

Do a N. AZ PoBox (with a real street address) have all registration sent there, then forward all that mail back to the valley home or valley PO Box.  Helps too with photo radar, they deliver and serve at the real address like PO BOX........so that is what the internet told me lol

• Haha 1