Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Arizona Trail - Any Fanatics???

I did a search here prior to posting and found several references.  Thought I would start a new thread, though....

Anyone out there that has taken-on (or is currently taking-on) the AZT??   I've got several friends who have either finished it or are at some stage of progress.  I've been intrigued for years and now have a buddy that has committed, so I'm going to go for it!  Now that the decision has been made, I find myself a little obsessed.   

A couple of guys I know that just finished last Fall insisted on doing it from South to North, taking each passage in order (1-43).  I'm thinking we'll do each passage hiking north bound but will flex around on dates and locations for completion.  Likely will kick-off with an initial expedition in the next couple of weeks, and then maybe try to do a couple of weekends per month after that, depending on availability.  Haven't set a goal for completion yet... (I'm an empty-nester with lots of time/freedom, but he's still got a life to tend to... lol)

So?  Anyone doing it???

S.

Explore the Arizona Trail – The Arizona Trail (aztrail.org)

• Like 9

Good luck. My brother just started at the south end on his 66th birthday this MAR 23rd. Today he and his son will take on the section from I-10 to just N of the big mountains N of Tucson.

• Like 5

Had a buddy that sat a tank down south until the second group of hikers walked right by his tank and blind (without ever noticing his blind).  After a little checking online, he realized his tank was directly on the AZ Trail.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow! 1

I‘ve never hiked it completely but have been on/lived near the portions of it from Mexico to north of Tucson for almost 20 years. Good luck and I look forward to lots of pictures.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

Had a buddy that sat a tank down south until the second group of hikers walked right by his tank and blind (without ever noticing his blind).  After a little checking online, he realized his tank was directly on the AZ Trail.

I’ve been sitting on hills glassing and had hikers and bikers come through below me. I knew the AZT was there but still a surprise glassing to see a bike roll through. 

• Like 3

Friends started section hiking down south right after Christmas. Not sure how far along they are, but weren’t in much of a hurry. Always been on my mind, but have never looked into it very seriously. Good luck and share lots of pics! 

• Like 1

I've killed a bunch of pigs right off the AZT. It makes for a good fast somewhat quite ambush route to get into position to attack.

• Like 1

Someday for me. I hike the section near us a lot. Its interesting the people you meet on the AZT.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

Good luck. My brother just started at the south end on his 66th birthday this MAR 23rd. Today he and his son will take on the section from I-10 to just N of the big mountains N of Tucson.

Thanks!! Ya, I'm not yet in my 60s, but not too-too far off. ;)  Several years ago I sort of figured I would tackle it as a retirement activity thing, but since the kids are gone and I'm a single (mostly) empty-nester, I've found I have some weekends so figured I would kick off the quest.

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I‘ve never hiked it completely but have been on/lived near the portions of it from Mexico to north of Tucson for almost 20 years. Good luck and I look forward to lots of pictures.

Yep, I've seen (and hiked) portions here and there.  Have chased quail along it plenty of times....  LOL     Thanks!

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

Friends started section hiking down south right after Christmas. Not sure how far along they are, but weren’t in much of a hurry. Always been on my mind, but have never looked into it very seriously. Good luck and share lots of pics! 

Now that I started doing some serious research/planning, it's amazing what a 'thing' it is.  LOTS of folks are into it, it seems!   Thanks!  Pics for sure.

13 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

Someday for me. I hike the section near us a lot. Its interesting the people you meet on the AZT.

So I've been exploring some of the internet group sites for the AZT.   There is a super active Facebook group, and I'm getting a feel for some of the characters.  I've been a fairly avid hiker off and on over the years, so am a little familiar with the scene.  Lots of granola and Birks, along with others!! LOL

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

I’ve been sitting on hills glassing and had hikers and bikers come through below me. I knew the AZT was there but still a surprise glassing to see a bike roll through. 

I've been the mountain biker rolling up on hunters on the AZT here around Flagstaff. I felt kinda bad the first couple of times, as a hunter, myself.  But then I got to wondering why anyone would hunt that close to well-known, popular hiking/biking trails around Flagstaff.  To be fair, though, they typically aren't from around here (most hunters know to get far away up here) so I usually give them any information I can on where to find elk and deer away from those areas.

Hiking the AZT is on my list of things to do.  And if you need anything when you get close to Flagstaff, don't hesitate to holler.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IA Born said:

I've been the mountain biker rolling up on hunters on the AZT here around Flagstaff. I felt kinda bad the first couple of times, as a hunter, myself.  But then I got to wondering why anyone would hunt that close to well-known, popular hiking/biking trails around Flagstaff.  To be fair, though, they typically aren't from around here (most hunters know to get far away up here) so I usually give them any information I can on where to find elk and deer away from those areas.

Hiking the AZT is on my list of things to do.  And if you need anything when you get close to Flagstaff, don't hesitate to holler.

I probably ran into you at some point 😂. I had a little buck walk right in front of me while I was literally taking a rest on (unbeknownst to me at the time) the AZT.

Couldn't figure out why there were so many dang hikers. Finally looked at it on OnX and figured it out...

• Like 1

My father completed AZ trail and was a trail steward for a numbers of years.  He did it on horseback in the 2000's and he accomplished it over a few years.  I believe he was number 108 to complete.  He helped a number a of others complete it as well.  I think he told me he did the grand canyon and crossed the Colorado River 6 different times because people were worried about that trip.  

• Like 4

Good for you Stanley!  I'm glad you're planning this. So many people put things off not realizing that it is later than we think.  The ATA website has a lot of info. Thanks for posting the link.  I'll be following this thread!

-Jimmer