Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Arizona Trail - Any Fanatics???

One thing I will say is plan for all weather. I've picked up several people that have been blown off the trail by bad weather.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Savageman2506 said:

I probably ran into you at some point 😂. I had a little buck walk right in front of me while I was literally taking a rest on (unbeknownst to me at the time) the AZT.

Couldn't figure out why there were so many dang hikers. Finally looked at it on OnX and figured it out...

I just now realized you were in Flagstaff, too.  I may have run by you.  I sure hope I was a good advocate for the MTB community!  I help coach the Basis MTB team every fall.  We typically ride Eldon and the Fort Valley Trails, starting from Basis.  That's where I'm amazed to see hunters, with how popular those areas are with hikers and mtb riders.  We ran into 2-3 guys from Phx last year with the antlerless archery tag in late Oct/early Nov.  They were surprised at how busy those trails were.  I gave them some areas to look at in 11M, after seeing a good size herd of does right behind the Elks Lodge.  I've seen some killer bucks in those areas (11M/7E) where you can get away from the hiking/biking crowd.  You probably know, but I'm happy to share privately.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maximus said:

Stanley, 

if you need the book, i can lend it to you.

Thanks for the offer, maximus!    Which book do you have?   I'm browsing a few online.....   (Your Complete Guide to the Arizona National Trail seems to be one of the most comprehensive ones....)

5 hours ago, JSR said:

This is a good watch

Pretty awesome!  Thanks for sharing.

And yes, I just burned 45 minutes of company time watching it!  (I'm "working" from home today... ;) )

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, stanley said:

Thanks for the offer, maximus!    Which book do you have?   I'm browsing a few online.....   (Your Complete Guide to the Arizona National Trail seems to be one of the most comprehensive ones....)

Stanley,

is called Arizona Trail

The Official guide

text by tom lorang jones and the arizona trail association.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IA Born said:

I just now realized you were in Flagstaff, too.  I may have run by you.  I sure hope I was a good advocate for the MTB community!  I help coach the Basis MTB team every fall.  We typically ride Eldon and the Fort Valley Trails, starting from Basis.  That's where I'm amazed to see hunters, with how popular those areas are with hikers and mtb riders.  We ran into 2-3 guys from Phx last year with the antlerless archery tag in late Oct/early Nov.  They were surprised at how busy those trails were.  I gave them some areas to look at in 11M, after seeing a good size herd of does right behind the Elks Lodge.  I've seen some killer bucks in those areas (11M/7E) where you can get away from the hiking/biking crowd.  You probably know, but I'm happy to share privately.

I've found a couple decent spots in 7E but know nothing about 11M, other than the elk I see on my way to work sometimes lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, maximus said:

Stanley,

is called Arizona Trail

The Official guide

text by tom lorang jones and the arizona trail association.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

BTW, I greatly appreciate your offer to borrow, but want to own it for my bookshelf. ;)   Thanks!!

• Like 1

I am planning on doing a trip in the next year. My son turns 18 and is fairly independent at this point so was planning on rewarding my financial freedom with  a hike through the wild west.

• Like 3

Well, my partner and I completed our first couple of sections last weekend.  We started with passages 29 & 30 (15 & 18 miles, respectively....).  Fairly short sections in relatively flat country in the Mormon Lake / Lake Mary / Anderson Mesa area.  By design, we picked these two to start due to the fairly benign elevation changes.  Had a great time, with my Vizsla leading the way both days.

Learned two things:

1. Hiking 15+ miles is a LOT different than hiking 8 or 10.  Like a bunch of folks, I've done a lot of hiking in the 8-10 mile range, and the leg/foot fatigue really started setting-in after about the 12 mile mark.
  2. I need tougher feet!!   I have worn a specific model of Keen boots that I love over the past 8 years or so.  They seem to fit my foot perfectly, and with a supplemental Sof Sole insert have been great.  But oh boy..... That volcanic-cinder rock up in that part of the world did a number on my feet over the course of the weekend. 😂   Took a friend's advice and bought a pair of Hoka trail runners on Monday.  Did 10 miles in rocky country in them yesterday evening, and they seem MUCH cushier on the feet!

Next-up will be a 30 mile section in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

I agree Stanley…going over that 10-12 mile mark seems to start taking a toll on the feet and knees! Wait until you’re pounding downhill for several miles! 

My daughter is working on a high school project and her teacher connected her with the AZTA executive director. Very nice and helpful. We met him for a short hike on the trail east of Tucson last week to discuss her project…very cool opportunity and maybe more fun for dad. 

• Like 2

Update for anyone who cares or is hiking the trail;

We're about 10 months into it and have completed 15 passages (265 miles).  Was sort of hoping to be a little further along at this point, but we basically took the fall and early winter off to chase deer and birds.  Last summer we did most of the passages from the Mogollon Rim to the GC South rim (Peaks and Babbit Ranch still left, there...).   Doing passages 1 & 2 in a couple of weeks, then Rincons & Redington Pass in late April.   That will complete everything from the southern border to the Catalinas.  You guys that live in SE AZ sure do have some pretty country to run around in!   

Still a LONG way to go!

Anyone else hiking??

S.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stanley said:

Update for anyone who cares or is hiking the trail;

We're about 10 months into it and have completed 15 passages (265 miles).  Was sort of hoping to be a little further along at this point, but we basically took the fall and early winter off to chase deer and birds.  Last summer we did most of the passages from the Mogollon Rim to the GC South rim (Peaks and Babbit Ranch still left, there...).   Doing passages 1 & 2 in a couple of weeks, then Rincons & Redington Pass in late April.   That will complete everything from the southern border to the Catalinas.  You guys that live in SE AZ sure do have some pretty country to run around in!   

Still a LONG way to go!

Anyone else hiking??

S.

Went straight for the steep stuff eh? 

• Haha 1

Hiking with out a tag  or gun or fishing hole to hit is, well,  just hiking .   I need a goal. 

• Like 1