InsaneBoost

Cooler Size Question

Freeze the meat solid. Put it in the cooler and fill any open space with frozen water bottles. Tape seal the lid and cover it with a sleeping bag. It will still be ice cold when you get home if you don’t open it. Don’t open it is the key. People dry age beef for WEEKS without being frozen. A day or two cold but not frozen will be fine. Maybe even beneficial. 

17 hours ago, JSR said:

Freeze the meat solid. Put it in the cooler and fill any open space with frozen water bottles. Tape seal the lid and cover it with a sleeping bag. It will still be ice cold when you get home if you don’t open it. Don’t open it is the key. People dry age beef for WEEKS without being frozen. A day or two cold but not frozen will be fine. Maybe even beneficial. 

So water bottles instead of ice blocks/cubes? Or the water bottle essentially works as the ice block?

I brought back 150 lbs. Of flash frozen halibut from Alaska. Filled the coolers with fish and no ice. Approx. 36 hours later it was still rock hard frozen.

I don't see the need for ice until you notice the meat thawing. I think ice is going to melt at the same rate the meat will thaw.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, InsaneBoost said:

So water bottles instead of ice blocks/cubes? Or the water bottle essentially works as the ice block?

Frozen Water bottles are the ice but when it melts you wont have water sitting in the bottom of the cooler   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JSR said:

Frozen Water bottles are the ice but when it melts you wont have water sitting in the bottom of the cooler   

Okay just wanted to make sure I had that right. I do like that idea being lack of mess.

9 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I brought back 150 lbs. Of flash frozen halibut from Alaska. Filled the coolers with fish and no ice. Approx. 36 hours later it was still rock hard frozen.

I don't see the need for ice until you notice the meat thawing. I think ice is going to melt at the same rate the meat will thaw.

What kind of coolers were you using?

27 minutes ago, InsaneBoost said:

What kind of coolers were you using?

Coleman extreme. I don't think my RTIC is any better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5guyshunting said:

Equal in my experience of having both on a week long hunt in Sonora.

23 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

24 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Except you need 2 people  people to carry the RTIC 

• Like 2

Fresh killed whole bison. 14-16? Hours from home. Used the hide as a cooler and bought ice every once in awhile as I went. Stayed cold all the way home. Sprayed some bloody water out the back that pissed off some folks but my meat was good!

CE488775-7E0A-4CB4-9E63-5A1E0DF5D903.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Good to know. I have a smaller RTIC that is basically useless for this, but I'm going to bring it in case I need extra space.

16 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Fresh killed whole bison. 14-16? Hours from home. Used the hide as a cooler and bought ice every once in awhile as I went. Stayed cold all the way home. Sprayed some bloody water out the back that pissed off some folks but my meat was good!

CE488775-7E0A-4CB4-9E63-5A1E0DF5D903.jpeg

Absolutely amazing lol.

18 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Except you need 2 people  people to carry the RTIC 

THey are heavy but I only have the 65qt. I bought it when they were having a clearence and it was $153.00 shipped.

• Like 1

So 96 hr drive from Pa to Ca, you must be stopping at night. Pick up small chest freezer . Plug in over night while you stop or if you have newer truck with inverter plug in while you drive. And I agree with the advise don't freeze just keep real cold and don't get it wet.  But on a serious note it wasn't my wife , it was half a buffalo to New Jersey in 2 canyon 145qt chest, frozen solid before we left, 10lb dry ice, never opened . Drove 48hrs with naps. It was still frozen solid. Get a legit Cooler , not budget. You will pay either way. My 2 cents. Have fun

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

So 96 hr drive from Pa to Ca, you must be stopping at night. Pick up small chest freezer . Plug in over night while you stop or if you have newer truck with inverter plug in while you drive. And I agree with the advise don't freeze just keep real cold and don't get it wet.  But on a serious note it wasn't my wife , it was half a buffalo to New Jersey in 2 canyon 145qt chest, frozen solid before we left, 10lb dry ice, never opened . Drove 48hrs with naps. It was still frozen solid. Get a legit Cooler , not budget. You will pay either way. My 2 cents. Have fun

Yes. Stopping for the kids. Still a little too young where they can't sleep long enough in the car. Are you all just running extension cords from your room? Or actually bringing the freezer inside to your room? Hotels we stay at aren't always directly in front of room so not sure how I'd be able to power it without removing it entirely, which is obviously quite heavy.

What is the difference between freezing and just keeping cold? Ability to form it more in the cooler? Or something else? Feel like it's obvious, but going right over my head.