Sign in to follow this  
krp

Some really old carbon knives I've rescued... ALL SOLD

Like old cast iron pans, these old knives are still useful, and if they could talk the stories they could tell. Some are from the 1800s and others early/mid 1900s. I love carbon steel knives but have way too many in my old butcher box, I've used them all, at least to cut a tomato up, most have sat in granddad's box or drawer for years never used, or an old butcher's stash, time for them to be used again. Some are worth some real money and others not so much, but all are better than most knives made today, get razor sharp easily.

20230411-082623.jpg

I'll describe them the best I can, if you already know carbon knives you'll understand better. I'll throw some prices but really most likely they will be mixed and matched by the buyer so a price can be agreed to depending on that.

First Two knives are 6 pin, so from England or Germany trade knives from the mid 1800s. The big knife is worth the most of these knives, the little one works great for a boning... 40 bucks for both.

The next 3 are F VOGT, not a lot of info on these knives, made in Portland OR in the 1800s, 5 pin, which the american  makers used to differentiate them from the European guild 6 pin knives. The forth one is a very old Russell Green river, took awhile looking but found the triangle on it, originally was a 5 pin but someone put on more handles with bolts... 40 bucks for all 4.

Next 3 are 2 saw blade knives and a Camillus, probably made during WWII when metal was used in the war effort and knives were made from saw mill blades... 40 bucks all 3.

Next 4 are 3 carbon steel chicago cutlery and a L Bean Dexter, the first knife has a cracked handle, too bad as it's worth a bunch if not, the fillet knife is in good shape... 60 bucks all 4.

Last 3 are an Old Hickory, Forgecraft, Ekco forge... 20 bucks.

The two on top are cheap knives, if someone wants them they are free with any other knives, before I toss them.

Mix and match any combos and we'll figure a price.

Mesa, 202 and Recker/Power area.

Kent

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, krp said:

Like old cast iron pans, these old knives are still useful, and if they could talk the stories they could tell. Some are from the 1800s and others early/mid 1900s. I love carbon steel knives but have way too many in my old butcher box, I've used them all, at least to cut a tomato up, most have sat in granddad's box or drawer for years never used, or an old butcher's stash, time for them to be used again. Some are worth some real money and others not so much, but all are better than most knives made today, get razor sharp easily.

20230411-082623.jpg

I'll describe them the best I can, if you already know carbon knives you'll understand better. I'll throw some prices but really most likely they will be mixed and matched by the buyer so a price can be agreed to depending on that.

First Two knives are 6 pin, so from England or Germany trade knives from the mid 1800s. The big knife is worth the most of these knives, the little one works great for a boning... 40 bucks for both.

The next 3 are F VOGT, not a lot of info on these knives, made in Portland OR in the 1800s, 5 pin, which the american  makers used to differentiate them from the European guild 6 pin knives. The forth one is a very old Russell Green river, took awhile looking but found the triangle on it, originally was a 5 pin but someone put on more handles with bolts... 40 bucks for all 4.

Next 3 are 2 saw blade knives and a Camillus, probably made during WWII when metal was used in the war effort and knives were made from saw mill blades... 40 bucks all 3.

Next 4 are 3 carbon steel chicago cutlery and a L Bean Dexter, the first knife has a cracked handle, too bad as it's worth a bunch if not, the fillet knife is in good shape... 60 bucks all 4.

Last 3 are an Old Hickory, Forgecraft, Ekco forge... 20 bucks.

The two on top are cheap knives, if someone wants them they are free with any other knives, before I toss them.

Mix and match any combos and we'll figure a price.

Mesa, 202 and Recker/Power area.

Kent

So cool.  I use an old hickory that I found on the farm we lived on in PA when I was a kid.  It’s just like the ones you have.  It’s a razor, and has processed more elk and deer meet than you can imagine .

The old knives have the nostalgia factor... I killed an elk in January, Took this 1800s meat saw (with newer blade) to break it down, then at home used these 1800s Russell green river knives to butcher it, Some of those knives might have come across America in covered wagons... just stuff I like to do... what those knives have done for 150 years. 

I have newer knives that would work, use them for everyday stuff.

Kent

20230411-103936.jpg

• Like 3

Man, if that doesn't bring back memories. Nice collection. :)

These are the ones I'm keeping in the box...

Some Foster bros, Dexter, Henckels, Chicago cutlery, Russell, the huge one on the end is a cutco from way back before bakelite handles.

Kent

20230411-105750.jpg

6 hours ago, krp said:

The old knives have the nostalgia factor... I killed an elk in January, Took this 1800s meat saw (with newer blade) to break it down, then at home used these 1800s Russell green river knives to butcher it, Some of those knives might have come across America in covered wagons... just stuff I like to do... what those knives have done for 150 years. 

I have newer knives that would work, use them for everyday stuff.

Kent

20230411-103936.jpg

Love that Butcher Knife. There was a resturant on Country Club by Bookmans called Taco Torte that had one longer with lead weights on either side but I could never find one for sale. Ken if you have a clever you want to part with let me know. I have some stuff to barter.

Chris, I only have the two carbon steel cleavers, the green river and a Foster bros that go with a set.

I may have another Chicago cutlery cleaver from the 80s and a Wustoff. 

Kent

• Like 1

Knives 1, 2, 12 are gone or spoken for. The rest still available, I'll make the best deal I can to get them to someone that will use them. Only ones that need to be kept together are the F VOGT, they are so rare and almost no info on, they need to be together.

From the left

Kent