Sign in to follow this  
CanyonCountry

Opening day bull

Here is a bull that my dads friend shot in unit 10 on the late hunt opening day. We watched over 100 bulls between wednesday before thanksgiving and opening day, it was unbelievable and with the cold front, it brought a ton of excitement to the hunt. Opening day we saw over 200 elk and about 50 bulls. Some bulls were bugling and fighting which is always cool to see in november. We watched a herd of 30 bulls opening morning with some very nice 6x6s and 7x7s, but could not get close enough, we put them to bed and came back in the afternoon with a game plan. We had a few spotters back on a the same point that they were on that morning with radios ready for round 2, I let my dad, our friend kirk (the shooter), and another friend out of the jeep to make a stalk on the herd of 30 bulls. I just finished parking the jeep to get out with them, got my video camera ready and to our surprise, here came 2 bulls from above a water hole we were at. Our spotters came over the radio saying that we had the herd of 30 bulls coming to us, but from a ways off. We watched 2 bulls come to water, with daylight running out on waiting for the big herd, kirk decided to take this bull at 503 yards with a follow up shot to finish him off. The other bull was a great 7 point, but broken after his G2 on his left side. We knew we could have had a chance at the big herd that had some larger bulls in it, but with daylight running out, he decided to take this great 5x6 that is larger than his last bull and he is very happy with his decision as well as the rest of us. It will be a hunt that will never be forgotten and I was lucky enough to get it all on video.

post-2216-1228359094_thumb.jpg

post-2216-1228359264_thumb.jpg

Congrats guys!