Sign in to follow this  
verdehunter

Deep Sea Fishing Out of San Diego

I go to Sitka deep-sea fishing. They always furnish bait cast rods and reels. I freaking hate them. This year I’m going to find me a good spinning reel, and a break down rod for transportation in the airlines. Been doing some pricing and I can get out of it for under $200. if you use them a lot and like spinning reels, it’s worth the investment. 

23 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

The OP likely is targeting bluefin tuna though. The San Diego boats have nice gear set up for the fish they’re targeting.

Bluefin are hitting hard. Coffeegrinders seem to work well on TV but you WILL be the only one the boat with one.

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Bluefin are hitting hard. Coffeegrinders seem to work well on TV but you WILL be the only one the boat with one.

I am guessing coffeegrinders are spinning reels?

Doesn't change a thing. I still hate baitcasters.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be afraid to fish certain spinners for the right grade of tuna. But you’re just better off renting what they suggest at the time of departure. But it is fun to use your own stuff. 

• Like 1

I am a plus one for the spinning gear, aka: coffee grinders. No chance of backlash,I can cast farther( yeah I know someone good w bait cast gear will outcast me): faster retrieve when ripping lures……..yup!

Just rent the first time. If you make a habit of doing it, then buying will be good. You'll get a chance to see how you like their grade of equipment, setup, rod and reel sizes, etc.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, verdehunter said:

Have a trip coming up for a 3 day charter out of San Diego. Is it worth finding used equipment for sale, or renting from the location? Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

What boat are you going on?

Took my son in-laws on a tuna trip a few years ago, they were green as could be.  Bought a couple spinning rigs as I knew they would struggle with baitcasters.  Rigged the spinners with 65# braid backing combined with 30# fluoro leaders.  Son in-laws took #1 and #2 in the jackpot.  45# and 43# bluefin.  Only downside to a "coffee grinder" IMO, is not being able to rest the rod on the rail to take a break during the battle.  I've fished the Excalibur, good boat, sleeps better than most.  On another note, practice your knots prior to your trip.  You can thank me later

• Like 2

18 hours ago, verdehunter said:

Have a trip coming up for a 3 day charter out of San Diego. Is it worth finding used equipment for sale, or renting from the location? Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

I rented the first two years, then bought my own gear. Over the last 5 years we've pulled in the 20-30lbs Tuna and I've appreciated having my own gear.

I'd rent again if I didn't have my own since it's way cheaper, but I would 100% bring some color tape or elastic bands so that you can see your rod on the wall of of 25 other rods just like it.

The only time I lost a fish due to a bad knot was when someone grabbed my rental and I had to take another rod. The tuna was at the water and then the hook just came off.

Just a note on the take-down rods: We have the same 20+ guys on the boat every year, and a couple years ago someone bought a high-end take down game fishing rod because they were flying in from Michigan. With a fish on, the end section  came off and he lost the fish and use of his rod. It is the only experience I have with a take down, but that is enough for me :)

• Like 3

Verdehunter, i’m assuming this is a new type of fishing for you?

if it is rent tackle from H&M, 100%.

you could easily spend more than the cost of the trip on a pair of rods and reels, and if you are going to bring gear on a 3 Day you want at least 3 outfits. 

i’d rent and watch and see what the other anglers are using and take the opportunity to learn about reels and rods, settings, line capacity, drag, etc. 

if you like this type of fishery, you will have some knowledge from the trip about what type of rods and reels you want to buy when you do it again.

I would buy some flouro carbon as they won’t give that to you with your rental…40#-80#… if you can afford to go bigger do it. I would buy 2-4 jigs flatfall style or knife jigs, 180-250grams,   4-6 torpedo 5-10ounce  torpedo sinkers with rubber bands, and a variety of hooks…#2-2/0. 

As another member said, practice knots for a week or more ahead of the trip. The San Diego jam knot is the preferred leader to hook or Lure  connection. The Palomar or a good old fisherman‘s a.k.a. Trilene knot also work fine in that application. it’s also wise to be proficient with a line the line knot or two. If you’re connecting mono to Flouro, a surgeons knot works fine and is quick/easy. For leader to braid, I personally like the Alberto knot but there’s half a dozen or more that will work. 

unless you’re planning on driving back to AZ with your fish, I would call fish processor now and make a reservation. Fishermans and 5 Star are the gotos…

Feel free to PM me if you like, I am not an expert at anything, but I do several 3 day trips a year out of San Diego. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The advice about tying knots, colored tape (I like lime green duct tape, nobody else usually had that, easy to get at Micahels or a craft store) and bringing jigs/line/hooks is good info.