Sign in to follow this  
verdehunter

Deep Sea Fishing Out of San Diego

full day boat out of Seaforth Landing in SD are catching bluefin today,

16 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

I am a plus one for the spinning gear, aka: coffee grinders. No chance of backlash,I can cast farther( yeah I know someone good w bait cast gear will outcast me): faster retrieve when ripping lures……..yup!

Spinners are great and have a place!  Until you hook a bigger than expected fish and have to fight it for an hour. Then you will be wishing you could lay it on the rail. YF footballs and Dodos are a blast on spinners.

23 hours ago, verdehunter said:

Have a trip coming up for a 3 day charter out of San Diego. Is it worth finding used equipment for sale, or renting from the location? Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

IF this is your first tuna trip, my advice is, don't go... Unless you are prepared to spend a silly amount of money in the future for 4-6 complete rigs, spools of every size braid and fluoro known to man and a big bag full of lead jigs in the event you get hooked. Which if you get into fish, and don't get seasick, odds are you will be hooked.

Can't wait for the big boys to arrive, if they do at all.

Good luck and have fun.

• Haha 2

"Until you hook a bigger than expected fish and have to fight it for an hour."  I'm open to the challenge... sounds like a good problem to have.

17 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

sounds like a good problem to have.

Unless everyone is waiting on you to reel in a fish cuz the wrong gear. Then you’re “that guy” 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Unless everyone is waiting on you to reel in a fish cuz the wrong gear. Then you’re “that guy” 

It seems I am always that guy. If there's a way to screw something up I will. Unless it's desert muleys. I have them dialed in most of the time :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sure there will be several of us that end up being "that guy" for various reasons on this trip. But it won't be so bad since the boat will be full of our party anyways. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NOTAGS said:

"Until you hook a bigger than expected fish and have to fight it for an hour."  I'm open to the challenge... sounds like a good problem to have.

It is a good problem to have on a private boat with friends, not with an open party when not only the other anglers but also  the captain and crew need to move on and find more fish.

6 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Spinners are great and have a place!  Until you hook a bigger than expected fish and have to fight it for an hour. Then you will be wishing you could lay it on the rail. YF footballs and Dodos are a blast on spinners.

Theres a video I saw once of an Asian dude using a spinner upside down on the rail. At first I was thinking wtf is he doing lol. Then I realized I guess that’s smart

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Well, I’ve never gone on a cattle boat , and don’t imagine I ever will. If someone on my boat or one of the boats I fish on hooks a slob that takes some time, we are all in. That was the basis for my comment.   That being said, I’ve probably been “ that guy “ before, and may again. Just not fishing.

8 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Well, I’ve never gone on a cattle boat , and don’t imagine I ever will. If someone on my boat or one of the boats I fish on hooks a slob that takes some time, we are all in. That was the basis for my comment.   That being said, I’ve probably been “ that guy “ before, and may again. Just not fishing.

Yeah, 1.5-3 days on a boat with Californians is 1.5- 3 too much.  We’re better off grouper fishing. 

• Like 1

6 pack or bust if im finally talked into cali tuna fishing.  Ain't nobody got time for the mass poverty boats.  Penn coffee grinder been doing work for years but I may be talked into a new Avet.  That 2 speed option is pretty solid.