Sign in to follow this  
HuntHarder

Avet Reels

Any Avet Afficionado's on here?  Possibly looking to get a new reel, but see many different models.  Primary use would be fishing in <200' of water for bass, yellowtail and the occasional grouper.  I usually have 80ish lb braid with a fluro leader and primarily jig but am planning on figuring out how to cast a bait caster efficiently.  I am wanting 2 speed for sure, the ability to handle grouper in the medium weight range and a decent line capacity ( I catch Mexico often).  I guess I'll need a new rod too if I go the caster route, so suggestions on those would be cool too.  

Made in the USA versus China and would be a primary reason to go Avet. Avets are more user friendly to clean/maintain for the average guy too. 

I own an Avet HX Raptor and one of the newer Fathom 40NLD2, as well as variety of smaller Avets and one of the older Fathom 25n 2 speed

They are all excellent. The Raptor is superior but it also costs at least $200 more than a Fathom.

If you are in PHX go to Phoenix Fishing Supply on 16th & Camelback. They sell Avet  & Penn and have an excellent selection of saltwater rods. 

• Like 3

Just a piece of advice  . If you use boat gear check the line and make sure it's still  good . The sun will  cause the line to get brittle  over time and nothing  says old line like the sound of popcorn  on a boat . Cut about 1 foot of line off and tie a simple overhand knot and give it a hard pull if the line snaps its old. Same goes when you go to re spool your reels  . The line sits out at most shops and is exposed  to the elements.  

I was gonna say that, but they’re made in California and I wasn’t sure what was worse. He could get a penn Torque for the price of a raptor, made in the USA 

Price is not really a huge concern, more interested in getting a nice reel that fits my needs.  I was really only considering the raptor from AVET, trying to decide between Jx,Lx,Mx.  Probably best to just head down and go see the actual sizes of the different models.  

I’ll take the Avet, prices on the 40 Penn and the Avet MX Raptor are $140 delta.  No brainer after watching the review