CWpredator

Wyoming Antelope advice 2023

I have been trying to do a bunch of research for applying for a non resident antelope tag in Wyoming for 2023. I’ve been presented with a ton of variables that could drastically affect the hunt this fall. I have 8 points and am willing to apply in the special draw if need be. I would really like to go this year as I think point creep after this will be extremely bad plus they will be doubling tag prices in 2024. They have had record snowfall and an extremely bad antelope die off due to the harsh winter weather. I have a handful of units in mind that with my point level I should be able to draw but a lot of them fall in areas where the winter kill was extremely bad. Others I just simply can not find any information on. Does anyone have any advice on areas worth looking at applying for? I as most would would like to try and find an 80” buck with having a full 10 days to hunt but also have realistic expectations that a 70-75” buck might have to do depending on the unit and available animals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you,

-Travis

Antelope bucks only take 3 years to max out their potential.   I'd keep building points and wait until the population has a chance to rebound in 4 years.  You've already been in the game for 8 years.  A few more won't hurt.  The price increase might scare off a few folks and open up your chances for a premium experience down the line.  Now isn't the time to settle.

• Like 4

Tough place to be in for sure. From what they're saying some units have experienced huge winter kill as high as 50% of the population. I think the thing that would worry me the most is if WY goes to 90/10 which would really hurt the NR draw odds.

• Like 1

I appreciate the input but I’m going this year. I wasn’t asking if i should put in this year or not. I’m burning my points. I don’t want to wait 3-5 years if the state recovers. Being from Arizona and hunting antelope here the lowest density antelope hunts in Wyoming will be a vacation. All I’m looking for is some real time updates how the state looks like and where there’s a chance. No real skin on n the game as I have 21 points in AZ. I’ll kill a big one at home when I draw in the next 20 years if I’m lucky. I just want unit recommendations is all if anyone has experience….

1 hour ago, CWpredator said:

I appreciate the input but I’m going this year. I wasn’t asking if i should put in this year or not. I’m burning my points. I don’t want to wait 3-5 years if the state recovers. Being from Arizona and hunting antelope here the lowest density antelope hunts in Wyoming will be a vacation. All I’m looking for is some real time updates how the state looks like and where there’s a chance. No real skin on n the game as I have 21 points in AZ. I’ll kill a big one at home when I draw in the next 20 years if I’m lucky. I just want unit recommendations is all if anyone has experience….

"I'd really like to go this year" doesn't mean "I'm going this year. I wasn't asking". If I were someone that knew anything about wyoming antelope advice you'd be the last person I offered to help. Don't come asking for advice and when people give it to you you don't like it. Figure it out yourself.

PS- I hope the "lowest density" wyoming unit you draw doesn't have any antelope left to kill when you get there because "you weren't asking".

Pss- 21 points in az is as good as having 2 points and there's a chance you never draw a rifle az antelope tag in your life.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There has been up to 80% kill rate in some areas .suit Yourself . I would wait too. You don't have enough points for a descent unit . You can look thru hundreds and not find a good one on a regular year. This year is Gonna be Crap. Good luck.!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here’s my 2 cents.  I grew up in Casper and know WY antelope pretty well.  Apps aren’t do until May 31.  You will have much more info once the locals can get out and put eyes on the antelope heard now that the snow has/is melting.  Wait till you have more info.  It might be a good year to draw a tag from a pure application percentage point of view.  Also, antelope get big around 3-5 years old.  The winter die off may not affect that segment of the heard as much as older bucks and older does.  This might be the year to draw a tag.  If the fawn recruitment sucks and the does got hammered this winter, it may be 5-8 years before we see a bounce back in antelope populations.  Population bounce back may not translate to a better chance on accomplishing your goal of getting a nice buck.

Side note, If you decide to hunt around Casper I have a house there you can rent.

Andy

• Like 3

Thank you Twigsnapper very much appreciated. I am waiting for the deadline to apply for like you said to gather as much real time Information as possible. I will reach out to you on the rental house deal if I end up in that area. 

Tag price doubling isnt much vs fuel, time off work, your points you already have, etc. I dont think its weighing much

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 4:09 PM, CWpredator said:

I have been trying to do a bunch of research for applying for a non resident antelope tag in Wyoming for 2023. I’ve been presented with a ton of variables that could drastically affect the hunt this fall. I have 8 points and am willing to apply in the special draw if need be. I would really like to go this year as I think point creep after this will be extremely bad plus they will be doubling tag prices in 2024. They have had record snowfall and an extremely bad antelope die off due to the harsh winter weather. I have a handful of units in mind that with my point level I should be able to draw but a lot of them fall in areas where the winter kill was extremely bad. Others I just simply can not find any information on. Does anyone have any advice on areas worth looking at applying for? I as most would would like to try and find an 80” buck with having a full 10 days to hunt but also have realistic expectations that a 70-75” buck might have to do depending on the unit and available animals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you,

-Travis

Travis,

I am unsure why so many are generalizing the winter kill. It is terrible in some units and many really good units had minimal die off and have same amount of available tags as last year.

There are a ton of units you can easily shoot a mid seventies buck. 32, 46, 47, 48,51. All of those units you will see multiple bucks over 70”. All can be drawn in regular draw with well under 8 points. 

Good luck, Mark

Besides the winter kill in some areas, the remaining bucks in those units may have sub-normal horn growth this year as their energies may have been put into survival and not horn growth during the winter.  No guarantees that next few winters will be mellow and allow the herds to recover.

Unit 32 south of Casper was fun when I hunted up there a few years ago.  Close to fishing and Casper. Should have no problem with 8 points

Travis what did you end up doing? Let us know how the hunt goes. I’m hoping to do WY pronghorn in a couple years when I can draw a tag with a bit more public land available. I only have 2 or 3 points right now.